Does anyone else have a rabbit that stays outside all the time?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeysMomMom

Reaction score
My daughter has a rabbit and she has a huge cage and she has lots of room and is warm and protected.

I feel so bad for her though. I worry that she is going to be lonelyout there all day by herself. My daughter goes out to see her andbrings her inside to play but when we are at work and school, I feel sobad.

Someone told me rabbits get very lonely and we should get her a friend. We had her for two years now.

Will she be okay if she is all by herself with no other rabbit?

I currently have rabbits who stay outdoors forhalf the year, and come indoors in the inclement weather (winter,severe heat, etc.). I also used to have rabbits (many years back) whostayed outdoors year-round. My rabbits seem to do well in bothenvironments; however, if I were to have just one rabbit, myinclination would be to not keep him or her outdoors in a cage all byhimself. Bunnies are very social animals, and they need companionship -be it from humans or other bunny friends - to keep themselves occupied.WhenI did have only one rabbit for a short time, I kept himindoors, and he interacted with my cats and dog. I suspect that mostanimals do much better with some sort of companion friend, especiallyif the owner isn't home during the day. So my suggestion would be tolook into getting your daughter's rabbit a friend and bond them ifpossible. (Not all rabbits are successful with bonding, however...whichis something you might want to keep in mind if you do decide to getanother.) Not sure if this helps...

:)

It depends really, personally I think mostoutdoor rabbits should live in a bonded pair because no matter how muchtime we spend outside with them we can't be with them all the time andthey can get lonely. When I got my two I knew they would be livingoutside so I bought sisters to stop them getting lonely when I can't bewith them.

That being said some rabbits do prefer to live on their own, however ifyou haven't tired your rabbit with a friend I'd take her along to arescue and introduce her to a few of their rabbits and see if she getson with one, most rescues will do bonding for you if you ask so she canstay with the buns she likes.:)

Yes, I agree. It would probably be best to get her a friend.

I have rabbits living outside all year round, Berri used to live on herown, but she was lonely, so we were planning on getting her a friend(didn't have to though, accidental breeding) so now I have a bondedtrio andI think they are very happy.:)

Hello, I do feel bad when she out there allalone. I have to check into getting her a friend. We did bring her inlast winter, but it isn't fair to her cuz her cage isn't that big. Butmaybe it will help her with people being in the house. Itmade me feel good when she was in my daughters room lastwinter. She did keep her up at night though. I didget her spade so I guess I could get her a male friend. Or anotherfemale who is spade.

i feel the same way for domino. i visit him allthe time but he has lots of toys and stuff and he has been by himselffor 15yrs. and i dont think he minds.

Your Domino was always an outside bunny too? Andshe was all by herself? Now I don't feel so bad. As long as we givethem love, they should be alright.

Buck Jones lived in Pt Pleasant and had bunnies that lived outside year-round and were happy, healthy, and content.
As far as being lonely, it depends on the bun. If I remember correctly,Buck had one that was a "solitary soul" and preferred to be on herown.....although I understand that she enjoyed watching the other buns.

I see you're in NJ. I live in Bergen County. :)
If you're considering getting another bunnie, there lots of them around.
A lot were bought over the holidays and will probably be returned inthe next couple of months when the new owners tire of them.
And I know a little lionhead mix that's currently looking for a new home :D.

Bangbang lives outdoors, she is free to comeinside when she's having free range time but rarely does, she lovesbeing in the garden.
I've brought her inside in the past on hot days or cold days but shegets upset and everytime you go to go outside she charges past you backoutside...:?
Bangbang lives essentially on her own, the guinea pig endo lives in herown cage inside bangbangs cage (she lives in an old avairy) Bangbangdoes not like living with other animals, i think it really depends onthe rabbit.
She's happy to interact with other animals, but when it comes to livingwith other animals she changed, she gets very agro. Another rabbit inher home almost ended in tears, she went into a rage!

It depends on the rabbit some like friends somedont.I would reccomend trying another adult rabbit too see if they getalong.the shelter is a good place too look.I have some rabbits that areoutside all year round.they can see the other rabbits but are inseperate cages.bluebird

SmokeysMomMom wrote:
Your Domino was always an outside bunny too? And she was allby herself? Now I don't feel so bad. As long as we give them love, theyshould be alright.
yep, hes an outdoor bunny and has been quite content with living byhimself. i play with him a lot and he also likes to play in his hay andwith his toys

Latest posts

Back