Does anyone dehydrate treats for the rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
I've thought about getting a dehydrator and was wondering how much use it would get for the rabbits.

Does anyone here make their own treats? What are some favorites?

We don't have one, but I know my husband would love it if we did! When he was growing up, his mom would make homemade beef jerky in the dehydrator. I did get to try it when she made some last year and it was really good!

I bet the furkids would like dried apple slices/pieces! Maybe dried papaya too!

We have one and have done applesand peaches from our trees and fresh strawberries from the garden. I also did fresh papaya. The rabbits love them. It's a lot of work (my dehydrator isn't that big), but it's fun and the bunnies appreciate it.

:wink

I got a dehydrator for Xmas, because I had asked for it.;) I love it! Make sure you get one with the fan and heating element on top, it's a real pain to clean the ones with the heater and fan at the bottom because stuff drips on it. My MIL has one and it's a pain. My hubby makes killer venison jerky and we've been playing around with different fruits and with homemade fruit jerky (fruit roll ups). Most recently we dried the hot peppers from our garden.

Problem is, the fruit tastes so good that we usually end up eating it all before the rabbits get a taste! I'm sure they would love it though.

naturestee wrote:
I got a dehydrator for Xmas, because I had asked for it.;)

Thats what I may do this year :)

It'll beat the outdoor trash cans I asked for last year.

I got them too!

Just remember that dried fruits are high in sugar and should only be given as occasional treats ;)

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Just remember that dried fruits are high in sugar and should only be given as occasional treats ;)

Pam
They are lower in sugar than the ones you can get in the store, though, right? It seems like the store products are jsut about rolled in sugar before being packaged.

Latest posts

Back