Does anybody use an automatic waterer (for dogs/cats)?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarbunnies

Reaction score
Hey guys, do any of you use one of those waterers where you just put the little jug on it and it will automatically refill? (not talking about the fountain kind... imagine those would scare the buns) ... sometimes I am just so tired from work I wanna go to bed, but have to make sure their water is full, or if I am at a friend's house, don't have to make my mom check it. Anybody have any success with these?

walmart has them dirt cheap in two different sizes:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Van-Ness-Auto-Waterer-Cats/10315205
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Van-Ness-1.5-Liter-Auto-Waterer-1-ct/10315207

they work wonderfully and imo are a much better option than a bowl because they hold so much more water. mind you, it still needs to be washed and refilled about once a day due to debris getting in the water and/or the sides of the bowl feeling a little slimy to the touch (never have understood what that's about). mine don't care if they've gotten some debris in the bowl and still drink from it readily, but I don't like them drinking water with flecks of hay and fur in it :p

Imbrium wrote:
mind you, it still needs to be washed and refilled about once a day due to debris getting in the water and/or the sides of the bowl feeling a little slimy to the touch (never have understood what that's about).

Sounds to me like you're growing a biofilm of bacteria on your bowl. Definitely a reason to wash it out daily.

Have you considered adding a bottle? My guys definitely drink more readily from their bowl but I also attach a bottle to the cage so that they have a second water source if they tip or otherwise empty their bowl while I'm gone.

ewww, bacteria? I always figured it had something to do with the hard water here (though I suppose that doesn't make much sense now that I think about it, since I always run water for my pets through a purification pitcher). is there any way to prevent it other than just frequent cleanings?

I use one, and I really love it! Its great because I generally just don't like using water bottles, and bowls are so easy to tip over, but this is perfect! It's so simple too! :)

sugarbunnies wrote:
I think there are some waterers that have anti-bacteria properties in the bowl.
I had one like that back when I had my cat... it still got a "slippery" feel to the sides that went away when I washed it

Latest posts

Back