Does alfalfa hay smells bad?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylover anna

Reaction score
Hi, I just got my 8 weeks old bunny and brought alfalfa hay on small pet select along with the orchard hay. But I'm not sure if the hay is bad or is just that the alfalfa hay always smell bad. The orchard hay smell really nice. But the alfalfa hay smells like pet's odor. But my bunny seems to be doing fine with the hay and her litter does not smell except the fact that the hay smells . Is it just me or is it the hay that is suppose to smell this way.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 15
That looks like lovely alfalfa.
It definitely smells different then timothy but with out personlly smelling it its hard to say.
Examine it for mould otherwise its probably just fine.
You know how some people cant stand some smells and it just smells aweful to them? Maybe for you its alfalfa.

To me alfalfa has more of an earthier sweeter smell. I buy alfalfa ground powder to put into my smoothies and rabbit treats. To me its sweeter and almost taste like carob chocolate and has a earthy taste.
The hay you have looks good. If it smells like mold get in contact with small pets select. I've purchase a box of 2nd cutting of hay from them and found it to be good quality hay.

To me alfalfa has more of an earthier sweeter smell. I buy alfalfa ground powder to put into my smoothies and rabbit treats. To me its sweeter and almost taste like carob chocolate and has a earthy taste.
The hay you have looks good. If it smells like mold get in contact with small pets select. I've purchase a box of 2nd cutting of hay from them and found it to be good quality hay.

Ok thx :D

Back