Doe with Bump (Tumor?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimes228624

Reaction score
*This is not my rabbit*

So our rabbit, Bubbles, is about four years old and is a breeding doe. Within the past couple months she's only had a single litter with one surviving kit which as adopted about two weeks ago. We only noticed this shortly before her kit was gone and she had no issues raising the little girl.
At first, it appeared like a large balloon-looking bump that was black and blue right behind her left front leg. It didn't seem to be bothering her or hindering her movement at all. But I know rabbits are good at hiding their pain.
Today, I went to show it to my dad, the owner of the rabbits, and at first I was amazed, I thought it was gone. After moving her arm higher, we found it but it looked very different. It appeared very crusted over.
I didn't feel it either times because I was the holding her but I think I remember my step-mom saying it felt hard the first time we saw it.

Any ideas what it is? As the owner of this rabbit's niece, I worried if anything like this would ever happen to my rabbit and of course I'm worried about Bubbles! I originally thought it could be a mammary tumor but since it changed so much, I'm not so sure anymore.

I realized I forgot the pictures! The first two are from when we first saw it and the last one is from today.

bubbles1.jpg

bubbles2.jpg

bubbles3.jpg

The first pictures do look like it could have been a tumor, but the last picture almost looks like it could be a burst abscess. Only way to know for sure would be to take her to a rabbit savvy vet and have a fine needle aspirate done. Either way it requires some sort of vet care. If it is a burst abscess, your rabbit would need to be put on the appropriate antibiotic.

Thank you! I will let my step-mom know tomorrow morning and take her to my rabbit's vet (I've taken my rabbit there for surgery and my hamster there as well, so we'd be in good hands) as soon as possible. My dad's not willing to pay vet bills for rabbits, but my step-mom will be!

Back