Doe having false pregnancy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
One of my bonded group of sisters suddenly decided today she is having a litter. She is building her nest, of course, in the litterpan. She has been pulling tons of fur-but get this-she's pulling it from the other does! She has pulled some of her own too, but she keeps going and grabbing onto one or another of the other does and pulling fur, then carrying it back to the "nest". When I put their morning hay in, she immedialty starting moving the whole pile into the nestbox/litterpan.

Here's my question, though. Does a doe having a false pregnancy like this even feel labor pains? Because she will rush around making her nest, and then will all of a sudden stop and flop down in the nest and close her eyes and breathe really hard. Now, I know what you all are thinking-One of these four bunnies isn't a doe. But they are over a year old and have never been separated, and there has never been any litter/s before, and surely there would have been by now. Plus the fact thatI trance them on their backs once a month to do nails, surely I would have seen the boy parts before.

My Mojo did 3 false pregnancies before she was spayed. She NEVER used her own fur. She would always pull poor Tango's behind fur out. They are really frantic when doing this. I dont think they are having labor pains but have to rest a bit to recover from their frantic activity.

I don't think they have contractions or labor pains. I've seen does pull fur from whom ever they can get hold of, even through the cages. She's probably exhausted from all the frantic activity of building a nest.

Give her a few days and then take the nest away.

One of my six month old show does is doing the same thing. I know she is not bred she has only does on each side of her and hasn't been near a buck. I could have killed her for ripping out her fur LOL after I have been waiting for her to prime.

She does take breaks from arranging her hay and pulling her fur to flop on her side and rest. I guess she will get her wish now because she was just about prime and now it will take too long for her to moult and grow in a new coat.

Roger

The annoying thing is that I was jsut getting these girls littertrained! Now I will probably have to start all over, dang it. Would it be feasible to get her spayed now? I was thinking to get all four done at once so as not to break their bond. Could I get her done and then put her back with her sisters?

You would want to give her time to heal first. Mounting after a spay either by her or on her can cause serious internal damage. If you can afford to spay all at once thats what I did. Then you dont have to deal with the constant hormone surges. It takes between 30 and 60 days for their hormones to calm down generally. It really shouldnt affect litter box training and would save you a lot of stress if you did them at one time. Good luck.

Lucy had a false pregnancy once and pulled fur from Mr. Tumnus. Make sure you check on her often as they can sometimes ingest that fur if theyre holding it in their mouth and choke (as Sas's Sakura almost did).

I think its probably a good time to start scheduling spays. I personally would want to separate each after the spays so you can monitor output and such. You'll risk breaking the bond but I think its worth it. False pregnanciescan be very stressfulbunnies so its probably good to have her spayed now (or in the next week after she calms down from this).

I think I would have each done individually (or two at a time) and then separate them for at least 4-5 days after surgery where they can still see and smell eachother just to be sure.

aww, poor girl! no advice, but i hope she feels better soon!

Hope she feels better soon :D
Becca :):rose::bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back