Doe engorged with milk

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbaland

Reaction score
I weaned six kits early off of a doe in fear she may a mastitis. It seems to be only a fatty cyst.

When I tried to reunite them the doe has attacked the kits, the kits showed no interested in nursing and she was not producing milk. The past few days she has begun to produce a large amount of milk...She is engorged but the kits will not nurse her, I have fed her mint leaves, hot compressed and tried milking her myself. So...what now?

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
I would take her off all pellets and giver her hay only.

Taken away pellets will slow her production? I had no idea....

Whenever I wean a litter and the doe is still producing milk I only feed her pellets for two days. Less higher calorie/protein feed will help them dry up. I have never had a case of mastitis (knock wood)

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
Whenever I wean a litter and the doe is still producing milk I only feed her pellets for two days. Less higher calorie/protein feed will help them dry up. I have never had a case of mastitis (knock wood)
Ok I understand. The Vet told me it wasn't one...too normal looking to be infected. That little lump cost me $200. Oh the things we do for these rabbits!

Anyways...I took half her feed away yesterday and thought toad and tomorrow I'm going to get rid of it completely. Hopefully the hay will keep her happy...

Latest posts

Back