doe dropping weight like crazy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loppalove

Reaction score
My EL doe, that I got a while back is dropping weight like its her job. She was just wormed before i got her....she had an ear thing going on which I think i remedied, but other than that seems healthy.

I have added calf manna and black oil sunflower seeds to her feed, and she STILL isnt gaining any weight (i started supplementing her about 3 weeks ago with calfmanna and black oil sunflower seeds.)

Any ideas? She seems her sassy self, nothing in her eyes, normal stool, drinking water...what gives?

If she's dropping weight she's probably not healthy, just really good at faking it. And the diet is treating the symptom not the cause.

How old is she? What were the ear infection symptoms? Was the ear infection treated aggressively and for a good amount of time?

Feeling any lumps on her abdomen or anywhere else? Is she chewing her food oddly or drooling?

This unfortunately is one of those cases where it takes a vet to diagnose the problem. By the time it makes itself more obvious, might be too late.

For the record, I just took a pic of one of my Flemmies and the flash revealed a really really nasty looking inner ear canal, but he hasn't been rubbing his ear, shaking his head, eating or pooping less or slowing down at all.

Hope she's okay!

sas :clover:

I'd have her checked for coccidiosis. The worming treatment doesn't cover cocci... The cocci can infect the liver and youmay notget the smelly, nasty droppings, but it will cause weight loss. By the time other symptoms start showing (eating or behavior differences) it can be difficult to treat.

Also, have her checked for parasites. Even though she was treated before you got her, most treatments have to be repeated at 10-14 days (and sometimes again at 28 days). If not repeated, the intestinal parasites will return.

Latest posts

Back