Doe died this noon???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFrench

Reaction score
We have mini rex that was due today, I checked onher this am and again a little before noon she was making her nest andI noticed she was a bit wet behind, when I check again at 1:30 she wasdead in her nesting box,this was her first litter. What couldhave went wrong and is this common??

I'm sorry to hear about your doe :(

Pregnancy toxemia (ketosis)

http://feldsroyalrabbitry.com/hlrsc/Articles/reproductivedisorders.html

Pregnancy toxemia is very complex, and although it is fairlycommon, very little is known. This will serve as an overview. Perhaps,if there is interest, another article will be devoted to pregnancytoxemia. Signs vary from lack of appetite, weakness, and depression, toabortion to sudden death. Does are usually affected during nestbuilding, but pseudopregnant does and does that have recently givenbirth may also be affected. The liver becomes enlarged and infiltratedwith fat cells (a condition known as hepatic lipidosis). This fatinterferes with the normal metabolic processes of the liver, leading toan accumulation of toxins in the blood. Obese does and does with anobstruction in the stomach (such as a hairball from building a nest)are at greatest risk. The goal of treatment is to get the doe to eat,even if that means force-feeding. Some people also recommend treatingwith a steroid anti-inflammatory; these are available only through aveterinarian. Because most does do not survive severe toxemia, the besttreatment is prevention: do not allow your does to become obese, and donot increase carbohydrates in the diet at the end of pregnancy.

Thanks, I know that she hada bit ofblood on her bottom,, could she have died from not being ableto give birth?She had seemed fine drank this amwhen we feed, but was a bit restless.. we are very sad.

Latest posts

Back