Doe and baby dead at 4 1/2 months

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy05

Reaction score
Last weekend my 2 baby males were living together quite happily, until something went wrong and a fight brokeout. They were seperated immediatly, but a couple days later the one male passed away. He had been taken to the vet right away but after having a complete exam, sub-que fluids, and an antibiotic treatment, he passed away. After telling my to young kids, and trying to help them to understand, we had another incedent. This one was even more unexpected. At least with the male we had just believed that he passed from the fight, however on Friday when I went to the cages and saw my doe, Dandy, I was in complete SHOCK. At first I thought she was just sleeping in a 'dead bunny flop' position. Unfortunatly what I found really was a dead bunny. I had not seen any signs that would have made me think that something was wrong, or if I had she would have been off to the vet as well. But there was NOTHING. Only after I found her, I saw some dirrehea on the top level of her bunny condo, and see was laying on the lower level in the corner by her water bottle, her eyes were wide open, but she was already sift. She did have her young daughter in the cage with her, and even Penny was looking confused.(Penny is the baby duaghters name) She was over beside Dandy, butting her with her nose, and trying to groom her. Dandy's back feet were dirty with fecal material, but her bottom was fine, she was not messy there. I just don't know what happened or what to do. Do I need to still be concered for the baby male that we still have here? He is now living upstairs in the main living area of the house. Any thought would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

I pasted this from the other section hoping to get more answers. Please help.

Sorry, I did miss some info on my message.

Dandy is/was the mom of the litter. She had three kits, 2 male, and 1 female, (actually 5, but 2 were still born). At the time of all oft his, all kits were about 4 1/2 months. DOB sept.13'06. This all just happened in the last week or so. One male passed away from what I thought was a result of the fight. Oh, and before I go any farther, all babies and mom have always been inside the house. They were downstairs. So the long haired male is the one who passed on, the second male is still with us, and is now living upstairs in the corner of the kitchen. Penny, the female has 'moved out' and was adopted out to another family. All three of the babies were going to be adopted out, however things have now changed, and since Dandy has also passed away, we will be keeping the surviving male, 'Squirmy'. ( Kids named him, LOL, althought as a deaf and blind kit, he was super squirmy when we would touch him, and even once he could see) . So now to answer the other questions, yes the babes are weaned. Hopefully now this will help some of you help me to figure out what may have happened, if you need any onther info, please let me know. Thanks again.

Had anything changed in their feed? Check for things like extra dust, mold, things like that. Sometimes a little water can get into the feed without you even realizing it, and can cause mold. It will make a lump in the feed, like in clumping cat litter. That's all I can think of at the moment, hopefully Pam or Tiny's Mom will come on here and share their know-how too.

Back