do your bunnies acknowledge you?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amberelizabeth

Reaction score
I've noticed lately when I walk into the room where Layla is and I say her name and talk to her sometimes she doens't even look at me. She just sits there staring off into space. In order to get her to pay attention to me I have to walk over to the cage and then she'll greet me.

Do some rabbits just not respond to voice alone?

I have my desk in her room too and I can sit there and just talk talk talk to her and she won't even look at me or in my direction.

maybe she's just being a snotty bunny....I find that she has an attitude very often :biggrin2:

Wash will ignore me like that too sometimes. I think it's his way of saying "you were gone too long, I wanted pets" *hurumph* I just grab the treat jar and give him a treat, then all is forgiven ;)

Snuggy and Penny know their names. Penny ALWAYS responds when I call her. Snuggy usually ignores me.

Poor Shadow, bless his heart, is just not smart enough to know his name. I love him even though he's not too bright (probably more because of it).

I do think that time of day (or night) has a lot to do with whether buns will be wanting to hang out by themselves and be quiet, or be friendly and acknowledging. Nibbles isn't that social from about 5:00-8:00 pm, for example. She sleeps a lot during those hours and really doesn't want to be bugged. And there are other times, too, though they seem to vary (and I think some of her "down time" happens when I'm either out of the house or asleep).

OTOH, she often comes and annoyes me when I don't feel like petting her or playing, so I guess we're even. ;)

She'll respond to her name a lot of the time, but sometimes I literally have to walk right up to her, into "her space." My guess is that this is a bunny thing that has nothing to do being standoffish, etc. - we might interpret it that way (and I have sometimes).

There are also times when Nibbles deliberately stays away from me, when I've really offended her, but that doesn't happen too often.

My guess on this is that it's very dependent on a given bun's personality; also on being able to look for other cues (body and ear position, what the bun is doing, etc.).

When I walk up to Macey's hutch to get her out and feed her, she runs back and forth through the cage and digs at the door untilI get it open.

When she's in her pen she greets everyone who walks by and stands upbegging for them to notice her and give her treats or a nose rub.

When she's outside not in the pen but in the grass, she doesn't care who you are, she wants nothing to do with you.

Mine tend to ignore me if they're in their pens, unless they think they're going to get let out or they think I have treats for them. They all know their names, but if they're sleepy they won't pay attention when I call unless I also shake the oat container or something, LOL!

Mimi will run to me whenever I call her. She sometimes pretends to itch and sits therescratching herself for a while first before she decides to run to me. If she is in her cage and I come into the room in the morning, she will run up to the side nearest to me and 'woofs' at me repeatedly or chews the bars of the cage until I approach her cage to pet her head and give her food.

She's just so devoted!

mimisoppy.jpg

amberelizabeth wrote:
Hate to ask the obvious question - does she respond to sounds at all? Deafness is not unknown in bunnies.

Scone MacBunny always responds to my voice, if only by swivelling an ear to hear what I'm saying. When I come home, if I speak to him as I come in the door he's always sitting up waiting for me. If I don't say anything, he hides in a corner. He'll come running if I say "treat" or "craisins", or if I say "Where's the bunny?"

slavetoabunny wrote:
It depends on whether I have a piece of graham cracker in my hand or not.

LOL! I love your take on these things!

I agree tho with Mike, I also get the movement of the ear. Mine don't even sleep soundly when I am around. All these sleeping bunny photos amaze me.

The sleeping bun photos amaze me too, I can't ever catch Max dozing (maybe twice for a minute or two). My bun does what ec's do, except it's morning hours for Max usually. Max will get a few days each month or so where he'll want to be left alone all day to be with his bunny thoughts.

LOL! Yes, mine have their "alone time" too.

This morning it was "HI MOMMY!" from Bo. He's in a great mood since he has a new cage he's exploring.

MikeScone wrote:
amberelizabeth wrote:
Hate to ask the obvious question - does she respond to sounds at all? Deafness is not unknown in bunnies.

Scone MacBunny always responds to my voice, if only by swivelling an ear to hear what I'm saying. When I come home, if I speak to him as I come in the door he's always sitting up waiting for me. If I don't say anything, he hides in a corner. He'll come running if I say "treat" or "craisins", or if I say "Where's the bunny?"
No she's definitely not deaf....if i shake the bag of treats and say treat she notices. it's only if i walk in the room and say her name and talk to her she doesn't even look at me. i must not be interesting enough to her unless i walk up to her :)

Of my five bunnies currently living with me (since we have yet to bring over the trio), Fiver will ALWAYS acknowledge me (unless he's pouting), Flower will most of the time, Maisie always looks at me, but won't come over unless I'm at her cage, SweetPea mostly ignores me (she prefers Daddy), and Trixie could mostly honestly take or leave attention, and I suspect thinks she's completely without need for me, except to get her food, water and hay. Hehe!

So, there you have it...out of five bunnies, their different responses to Mama saying hello. :D

When i talk to bunbuns when he'ssitting down most of the time he'll get up and come over to me giving me a nudge. Sometimes he'll ignore me when im calling or talking to him.:shock::biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back