Do you walk your bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDShorty

Reaction score
I heard on the radio this morning, this girl cracking up because she saw a couple this weekend walking their big white rabbit in a baby stroller. She thought it was the weirdest thing in the world. But I thought it was so cool. I've been wanting to get one of those pet strollers for Dori for a while, but they are SOOO expensive! She is way too spastic and would never allow me to put a harness on her, so I figure this is the next best thing to her actually walking. At least this way she can still go outdoors but be safe :).

Do any of you walk your buns? Either on a harness or a stroller? How do your buns like it? Do you have pictures?

Well after my buns have been to the vet for a proper check up we are going to get a harness for them and put it on and let them run around in it till they get used to the feel then we can take them for short walks!

But i think its quite a good idea harness and stroller so buns can get a change in scenery once in a while.

I wouldn't say I walk my buns, I would say my buns walk me. :p

But anyways, on a harness, I follow them whereever they go on it. We do have a stroller for the dogs, I've never put my bunnies in it though.

Do we walk our buns? NO! Our buns walk US :p.
We take them outside on a leash sometimes, usually early spring before we put up their "play tent" (A screen tent we leave up all summer, which they use as a "play room" outside).
Hazel doesn't like it so much, she usually mainly just finds a good spot, and sits there for a while, occasionally moving to find something good to nibble.
White Chocolate on the other hand LOVES going out, and runs all over the yard, with her mommy (my daughter) in tow :biggrin2:. The other day she even did binkies, on her leash and all!

Here's a picture of White Chocolate walking her mommy, last summer while camping in the Sierras
camping8rg1.jpg

Hazel on a run through the camp
camphoppetyhe3.jpg

I have some of both buns in our yard, but I still need to upload those to Photoshack.

[align=center]My buns walk me on a leash :pLol. They have harnesses. Annabel is too small for hers to fit properly so I secure it by putting a "sweater" (made from a fleece sock) over it to prevent her from catching her nails in it, or slipping out etc. :)I had done the same with Ashton. *Sigh* Anyway, it requires a ton of supervision. I am lucky, these buns don't spook much. Ashton would spook more than them so I had to be on my toes quite a bit. [/align]

I have seen someone with a rabbit in a stroller--it was a stroller with a cage-type thing in place of the seat. I walk the bunnies on leashes. Muffin loves to run in circles and all over the lawn, explore the brushy areas, and dig. Tony usually just sits there like the grumpy fat lump that he is. I have to chase him to get him to move! When he does, he likes it though.;)

Yofi walks on his leash...sometimes needing a nudge to get going, sometimes going on his own volition (with a 'woohoo!' or two thrown in as he kicks up his heels). Anna...no way. Too dignified for such nonsense. :p

My question is how do you know if your bun would like to go for a walk? Baxter! seems to "not mind" my car, as he seems to wish to be "out of the carrier which is one of the pet bassinet carriers with wheels... I live in a neighborhood of condos and apartments and there are so many dog people who walk them, I was always afraid if I took Baxter! out on a leash he would be scared to death. Living in Los Angeles, in an apt., is kinda hard to give him the nature he deserves, but wondering if I should try?

What type of Bun do you haveas your looks to be the long lost brother of Baxter! He shares the same markings as yours, but a little smaller but then the Vet thinks he's only 9 months (or 10 months now that I'verescued him a month agofrom a friends front lawn)..

I take Nelson outside on nice days (like later today I am). I set up a pen and he really seems to enjoy it. Sometimes I'll put the harness on him, but he tends to get angry at me then and the whole outing is ruined. He's getting better, though.

I used to walk Dubby on a harness whenever we visited my mom's house. She has a large, unfenced yard, and Dubs loved bounding along in the grass.

Once we get a house, I think I'm going to outfit Max with a harness and leash, and we'll be able to take walks again. I would do it now, but I live in an apartment complex with a lot of rowdy kids, and I'm a little too nervous to take them out on-leash.

I brought sugar daddy to the park last weekand I let themexplore freely, of cuz at a distance where I can see them and making sure that there's no dogs at sight.

When I put them on the grass they were like giving me a kind of look like, where am I? What's this place? They didn't move for a min or so, then they slowly started to walk aroundandexplore.

Soon after there were people who sawsugar daddy and they came forward to pet them. Alot of questions was asked...

Oneasked, what do you feed them?

Me: Pellets twice a day, vegetables and unlimited timothy hay.

She: What? why unlimited hay?

Me: ( o_O ||) erm.. becuz they constantly clear their bowels. It goes in here and comes out there, almost instantaneously. So that's whythey constantly need food.

She: Oh I had a loop ear rabbit once but I didn't know that.

Me: *poor rabbit* (not out loud of cuz)

People in Singapore aren't very sureon what and how should one look after a rabbit. Often rabbits are notfedcorrectly and not properly looked after.

Few days ago I visited a pet shop and there's this girl who was asking the shop assistant questions on how to look after a rabbit.

Girl: Do I need to bathe them?

Shop assistant: No

Then my bf was mumbling to me. Ya right. Then expect to get fur mites.

They areso eager to sell their bedding. The shop assistant didn't even mention that rabbits can be toilet trained. Of cuz, I did wonder if they knew that rabbits can be toilet trained.

*disgusted*:grumpy:

Hi Julie,
We don't really know when or if ours want to go out, although White Chocolate usually likes it anytime :). We just take them out when it's nice weather and we have time (in summer, my daughter takes hers out every day after school, for an hour or so... she just does her homework in the "playtent" while Chocolate romps around :)). Then if they don't seem to like it, or they get scared, we bring them back in. Ofcourse, we have a back yard for them to go in, so we know it's pretty safe.
I wouldn't walk them where there are a lot of dogs around. They might get scared, or the dogs might attack..
Is there somewhere quieter, a nice quiet park or something, where you can take Baxter! ?
He might enjoy that more. Alternatively, you could try growing some grass in a big, low container on your patio, and let him play and graze in that.. Not much I know, but more than nothing. Some people also give their bun a "sandbox" to dig in. He might enjoy that too, out on his patio :).

juliew19673 wrote:
My question is how do you know if your bun would like to go for a walk? Baxter! seems to "not mind" my car, as he seems to wish to be "out of the carrier which is one of the pet bassinet carriers with wheels... I live in a neighborhood of condos and apartments and there are so many dog people who walk them, I was always afraid if I took Baxter! out on a leash he would be scared to death. Living in Los Angeles, in an apt., is kinda hard to give him the nature he deserves, but wondering if I should try?

When do you think I should introduce a harness to Dippy and Fluffball?
Soon they are gloing to the vet for their first check up do you think I should wait till then or after they are neutered?

You can start getting them used to it now if you like.
We put White Chocolate in hers a few days after we adopted her, she was about 2 months old then. She didn't mind at all, she just seemed so excited to be able to run around and explore the yard, LOL.

my two don't like getting the leashes put on, but once they are on, its ok

the lady who runs the rescue i foster for has a pet stroller. at one time she had a flemmie. i know this because there is a newish outdoor mall by us that is 'pet friendly' and we are going to bring our rabbits shopping and see just how pet friendly they are!

Lexi took Tony out for the first time today. He was SO nervous. He kept climbing up in her lap at the deck steps. He didn't like that green stuff under his feet and those big doggies barking scareded the big bunny!

Then, he took a bite of the green stuff!!! :shock:It's really good! :p

Latest posts

Back