Do you think childrens books contribute to the myth that rabbits are good child'd pet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think, as with anything involving children, this varies case by case. Not every child is the same so therefore not all of them are going to react the same when handling an animal. There are some children that I wouldn't let near any of my animals (well maybe I'd let my 60 lb boxer/lab have a go at them lol) but I show the same feelings towards some adults. I believe the some people are animal people and some are not. Some children are careless and will just throw the animal around like a doll. Some children are just cruel and will intentionally hurt the animal. Other children are great with animals; they are patient and gentle. I will admit that very few childern are in the last category that I mentioned but still they do exist. I would like to be so bold to say that I was one. When I was younger, can't remember the exact age but around 11 or 12, I got a hamster from a pet store. The young girl who sold me the hamster wasn't actually supposed to sell her because the hamster was ill. I started noticing something wrong around 9:00 that night which was too late to contact the store. I ended up staying up all night with the hamster trying to do anything I could think of to make her better. Sadly this story doesn't have a happy ending. The little hamster ended up not making it. My mom took her back to the store the next day and the owner said that since the girl wasn't supposed to sell the hamster she would give us another. Sorry to get off track but I think that's a bit of proof that some children aren't as irresponsible than made out to me. If anyone in my story was irresponsible it was the young woman who sold me the pet.

Latest posts

Back