Do you think a rabbit's right for me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elizapeters

Reaction score
Hi, there. My name is Eliza, and I'm almost twelve years old. I have wanted a pet for the last several years now, and I have read many books and made lots of PowerPoint presentations, in desperate attempts to persuade my parents to allow me to have a pet. All of the books I have read usually say something like, " even if your child promises to take full responsibility for your new pet, the child is likely to become bored with the rabbit after the novelty wears off."this is kind of offensive in my opinion. I have saved up over 600 dollars from bake sales, washing cars, and selling homemade things. My parents never have to tell me to do my chores or clean my room etc. and I know rabbits need a huge cage and several hours to run around in a bunny proofed area every day. I am also homeschooled, so the rabbit could run around while I can supervise it.
My father has several reasons not to let me have a rabbit. Only a few of them are, in my opinion, even remotely viable. #1 "they are rats" #2 "they smell" "3I will end up taking care of it". I don't think rabbits are infamous for smelling if you clean their cages every day, and rabbits are lagamorphs (try to tell him that). Although rabbits are a lot of work, how does he know I can't handle it if he doesn't give me a chance. I have done everything I can to prove my responsibility short of selling myself as a live in maid. I want to know your favorite breeds of rabbit. I'm thinking of getting a mini lop, Holland lop of mini Rex. I might like a Netherland dwarf, but you know what everyone says about them. Thank you for reading my post. I'm excited to read your responses. Please put a picture of your bunny in your post!:happyrabbit:

Well, hello fellow homeschooler. :) The fact that you've save up over 600 dollars is very impressive!
To answer your father's reasons:
1: They are not rats, they are indeed lagomorphs.
2: My Nessa's cage doesn't smell at all if I clean it everyday. You can tell your parents about litter training!
3: In the end, you must respect your parent's wishes. I wouldn't push too much on wanting a rabbit, constant begging can be vexing. (Not saying that you're doing that though.) Maybe if you could have a sit down with your parents, explained how much money you've raised: that you could pay for the rabbit's cage, the spay/neuter, food, hay, etc.
When I was a kid, I desperately wanted pet ducks. So to convince my parents: I researched how much it would cost to make the pen, purchase the ducks, how much the feed and other essentials cost. I also laid out a day by day chore chart of how I'd care for the ducks. Then I mentioned the benefits of having the ducks (which was egg laying :p).
Maybe you should try something like that? ^
On the rabbit breed question, I personally own a Holland Lop. She's unaltered, so she can be moody at times. But I'm currently saving up to get her fixed. Regardless of that, she's very friendly and loves giving bunny kisses. Like most rabbits, she doesn't enjoy the process of being picked up :p but doesn't mind being held on my lap. I would personally stick with Holland/mini lop or maybe a mini rex as a first time rabbit owner. I've read that Netherlands can be a bit skittish. But there are plenty of absolutely adorable Nethies on here, so maybe an owner of one can butt in and tell you more about them.
Since you asked for a photo of my bunny, here you go. :)

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

Thank you for your reply. You had some really great ideas. And your bunny is absolutely adorable. You and Nessa have a nice day.

Hi Eliza! First of all, can I just say a few things?

It's really nice to see more homeschooled children. I plan to homeschool/unschool my own. You definitely seem way ahead of your peers (and also many adults lol)...I would have never guessed that you were only 11-12 years old had you not told us. It's really refreshing. It's also really interesting to me to see someone just like myself when I was 12. :)

Congratulations, you're slowly learning how dumb people mess things up for everyone else, and you're also learning how powerful one person's opinion can be. The truth is, people getting bored of pets isn't only limited to children. Children are just more likely to get bored of a pet. One reason: people objectify animals, and they teach their children to do the same. Another reason for that is most children are not mature enough to take care of themselves, let alone another living being. (Duh.) I would imagine this exempts responsible preteens such as yourself. And then there are preteens (and teens) who are never taught to take responsibility for anything. So don't worry...the books aren't referring to you. It's just too bad that your parents can't see that.

Let's look at your parents' point of view. "They are rats." Well, that's kind of redundant. Obviously, rabbits aren't rats. Next. "They smell." Yes. Any pet will create odors. Humans also create odors (worse than rabbits). That is why you litter train them and clean up after them. Simple solution. I never notice any odors from my rabbit himself, and since he is litter trained, I never have to smell his pee, either (unless I refuse to clean his box). The only complaint I have about rabbits is they are MESSY and destructive. That is definitely something to consider. There WILL be hay (and probably rabbit turds) everywhere, unless you diligently sweep/vacuum it up all day. Personally, I am okay with living with a few strands of dry grass here and there, and their "poopies" are dry and odorless as well.

"I will end up taking care of it." Well, point out to your parents that you take responsibility for a lot of things (give them specific examples like you have given us), and that having a rabbit would be no different. In fact, you are probably going to be more inclined to care for a rabbit consistently rather than do a chore consistently, since it is a living being who will demand your attention. The key is to compromise with your parents. Tell them, "I want to compromise, so we can all get what we want." Agree to be the sole caregiver of the rabbit, which includes, but is not limited to, financial expenses, cleaning up after the rabbit, fixing or replacing anything it destroys, ensuring it is happy, feeding it, etc. And if you, for whatever reason, fail to do this, then your parents get to take "custody" of your rabbit and do with it what they please. This could be just not allowing you to see your rabbit for a certain period of time, or they could possibly rehome it, depending on the situation...if the rabbit isn't getting proper care that is a good reason for rehoming.

It actually surprises me that your parents aren't willing to let you have a pet, especially being that they are homeschoolers. Personally, as a parent, I'd be snatching up the opportunity to teach my children how to compromise and also how to be responsible for something. That is exactly what my parents always did with me, and I actually have had my parents rehome a pet (it was my first bunny...:( ) because it wasn't getting taken care of well enough. In my defense, no agreement was made ahead of time, no research was done on how to properly care for a rabbit (the internet was in its infancy then), and my parents didn't really bother to teach me, either. I was 10 years old, and they kind of just let me wing it. Not the best situation. But I did learn from it.

Then when I was 12, I really wanted a rabbit again. So my mom told me I could get one if I did my chores without being told for a certain length of time (a week or two?), if I paid for it myself, and if I took care of it myself. At the time, I was making money (3 bucks an hour yeah!) babysitting my little twin brothers, who were toddlers. I also had other pets (like hamsters and fish) which I took care of by myself. Well, I did have a little help from a friend to buy the rabbit and a cage, but I was able to feed and care for her by myself otherwise (I could have saved up...but there was a certain one I wanted!). I also didn't fail that time. I had that little doe until the day she passed. I also had her son (from an accidental litter which I've never regretted having the experience of) until the day he passed, too.

I hope you are planning to let your parents read this thread. As a fellow parent, I'd be interested in hearing what they'd have to say. Maybe they do have a good reason for not wanting a rabbit in the house (like I said, they can be quite destructive, and if you have more than one unaltered bunny, they will spray urine). But if they do, they should stop being wishy-washy with all the "it's a rat" remarks and just tell you what their deal is.

Personally, I like medium sized breeds. I love mini lops and mini rexes, because they seem to be pretty laid back in general, and I like laid back bunnies. All the mini lops I've known have been big, lazy sweethearts, and all the mini rexes I've known have always been fun and personable. I have had dwarfs and dwarf mixes, but they were a little too shy for me, and the larger breeds I avoid simply because they are more work.

I'd like to share a few pictures of my old bunnies later; right now I'm having issues with posting them. =P

Very commendable post, however, please realize that while in your parents house you must respect their wishes. I have 2 rabbits one is a buck and their room doesn't smell at all. Both my rabbits were a breeze to litter train and really don't make a mistake where they put their urine. They are both cross breeds, a Flemish giant/lop/new Zealand and a new Zealand/Californian mix

I prefer the larger buns, the champagne d'argent are my absolute favorite! I also like Flemish giants and the tan breed. Out of the list you gave the mini rex would probably be my choice from a responsible breeder. If you have a county or state fair in your area, I would ask him to go and show what you have learned about rabbits.

Also, my mom always had us write up an essay that was at least a page long about why we wanted a pet and how it will benefit your career aspirations. Maybe that would show him you're serious about taking care of a rabbit.

I think a rabbit would be a very good pet for you as you can take them into apartments easily and that don't make noise. When you're ready to move out of your parents home

20140720_182233.jpg

I understand! I was once like you, desperate for a pet but never allowed one while under my parents' roof. It felt TERRIBLE, because I was born an animal person, but now that I'm older I do understand my parent's concerns and there are some valid ones. Here's my breakdown, and opinion, on your situation.

Pro-Bunny Reasons:

1. You want one and are willing to do research on how to care for one properly.
2. You have saved up a good amount of money to pay for supplies, food and neutering. Good job!
3. You can spend a lot of time with it being homeschooled.
4. You are willing to be responsible for cleaning up after it and making sure it doesn't smell.

Possible Anti-Bunny Concerns:

1. You are going to be a teenager soon. People change enormously during these years, what if one day you decide that going out with friends is more fun than spending time with bunny? What happens when you go to college? Or get a part-time job? Are you certain you can stay committed to a rabbit's wellbeing throughout its 10 or more years of life?

2. Bunnies are a lot of work. Hay can make a big mess in a cage. Bunny might want to tear up all his furnishings overnight just for fun. And as you know, bunnies love to chew on stuff, especially stuff they shouldn't be chewing on! They are very very naughty and clever and not to be underestimated. Do you have the patience to deal with this?

3. Being exotic pets, bunnies cost a lot at the vet. I have spent easily $1000 on vet bills over the course of one and a half bunny-owning years. If your bunny gets hurt or sick, who pays for the vet? Are your parents willing to cover this? I know you'll do your best, but as someone with no income, you AND your bunny are still dependent on your parents. So they need to be on the same page as you.

4. Are your parents okay with driving you to get bunny supplies regularly like food and hay, or to the vet if necessary? This can be an irritating inconvenience for busy people.

5. Are you mature enough to make tough decisions for your bun? If he gets sick will you make sure, come hell or high water, he's brought to a vet? If say, your dad discovers he is allergic to bunnies, will you take care to keep the bunny clean and away from him? If bunny develops a disability such as incontinence, would you be willing to wash his bum daily? If it just doesn't work out, are you prepared to rehome him to a good family?

If I were you, I'd write out a contract. All posh and fancy with as much legalese as I could muster. Detailing how you'd care for the bunny, pay for its bills, everything. Include an exit clause for your parents, stating that if they have any reason at all to complain, whether about smell, cleanliness, fur, chewing damage, ANYTHING, then you would accept your failure as a bunny momma and have a plan set out to rehome the bunny. Agree to frame it on the wall and stick to it.

If I were a parent, I'd be happy with that.

3. Being exotic pets, bunnies cost a lot at the vet. I have spent easily $1000 on vet bills over the course of one and a half bunny-owning years. If your bunny gets hurt or sick, who pays for the vet? Are your parents willing to cover this? I know you'll do your best, but as someone with no income, you AND your bunny are still dependent on your parents. So they need to be on the same page as you.
I wanted to add this, actually - my guinea pig recently got a nasty ear infection and I ended up dropping $220 on the consultation and all of his medications. I also absolutely need a second person to help give him his meds; it's not possible for me to do alone! Would you/your parents be willing to pay large amounts of money unexpectedly for vet care, or give your rabbit meds when he/she needed them? There's a lot of things to consider, and it's great that you've done so already, but these might be the kinds of things that are making your parents say no to a rabbit.

When I was younger and still living at home, I had a few birds. Ultimately my mother ended up doing the main caring for every single one of them, and when I moved out, I left two of them in her care. She didn't mind, thankfully - she absolutely loves caring for birds - but she devoted a significant portion of her time caring for pets that I'd asked for, paying for their medical expenses, paying for their food, cleaning out their cages, etc. Your parents are probably afraid of that happening, although it sounds like you've already addressed it pretty well.

Last edited:
I understand! I was once like you, desperate for a pet but never allowed one while under my parents' roof. It felt TERRIBLE, because I was born an animal person, but now that I'm older I do understand my parent's concerns and there are some valid ones. Here's my breakdown, and opinion, on your situation.

Pro-Bunny Reasons:

1. You want one and are willing to do research on how to care for one properly.
2. You have saved up a good amount of money to pay for supplies, food and neutering. Good job!
3. You can spend a lot of time with it being homeschooled.
4. You are willing to be responsible for cleaning up after it and making sure it doesn't smell.

Possible Anti-Bunny Concerns:

1. You are going to be a teenager soon. People change enormously during these years, what if one day you decide that going out with friends is more fun than spending time with bunny? What happens when you go to college? Or get a part-time job? Are you certain you can stay committed to a rabbit's wellbeing throughout its 10 or more years of life?

2. Bunnies are a lot of work. Hay can make a big mess in a cage. Bunny might want to tear up all his furnishings overnight just for fun. And as you know, bunnies love to chew on stuff, especially stuff they shouldn't be chewing on! They are very very naughty and clever and not to be underestimated. Do you have the patience to deal with this?

4. Are your parents okay with driving you to get bunny supplies regularly like food and hay, or to the vet if necessary? This can be an irritating inconvenience for busy people.

5. Are you mature enough to make tough decisions for your bun? If he gets sick will you make sure, come hell or high water, he's brought to a vet? If say, your dad discovers he is allergic to bunnies, will you take care to keep the bunny clean and away from him? If bunny develops a disability such as incontinence, would you be willing to wash his bum daily? If it just doesn't work out, are you prepared to rehome him to a good family?

If I were you, I'd write out a contract. All posh and fancy with as much legalese as I could muster. Detailing how you'd care for the bunny, pay for its bills, everything. Include an exit clause for your parents, stating that if they have any reason at all to complain, whether about smell, cleanliness, fur, chewing damage, ANYTHING, then you would accept your failure as a bunny momma and have a plan set out to rehome the bunny. Agree to frame it on the wall and stick to it.

If I were a parent, I'd be happy with that.

Can I just give this post some applause? Wonderful insight. I'd have enjoyed that when I was younger. I still enjoy it now. Those are excellent points to consider, especially if you have parents which might not want any extra pets around (personally, it doesn't bother me, but that's because I'm an "animal person"). Which brings me back to - I wish your parents would communicate with you better, Eliza! Hopefully you see this and you are able to talk to your parents about it. Pretend they are the same age as you are, and make sure you listen to and understand their perspective before you tell them your side of things. The world is a better place when we can all be calm and understand each other. Hopefully everyone can be reasonable, and your family can come to a compromise. :)

I suggest that you read the articles from here if you haven't already.
I know how frustrating it is when you want a pet and your parents don't let you get it. I have been wanting a dog since I was five and couldn't have one because my parents don't like them. I'm moving on my own at the end of the month and finally getting a puppy in September. I've waited for this dog for so long it's kind of crazy. Nevertheless, the others answers are right: even if it's your rabbit, your parents will get involved with it - there WILL be hay and fur in the house, vegetables for the rabbit in the fridge (believe me, it takes a full compartment in mine), trips to the vet where you parents will have to take you, chewed furniture and destroyed things your parents will have to replace, bunny-proofing of a room where your bunny will need to be let loose at least 4 to 5 hours a day (they eat wallpaper, electrical cords, shoes, books... and they jump HIGH, my holland lop can jump on EVERYTHING and I need to have a wire fence around my bed during the day so my rabbits don't jump on it and dig a hole on the mattress), hay to store (there were moths in one of the hay package I got and they ate ENORMOUS holes in the clothes of my whole family - I think they still hate me for that), pee everywhere if your rabbit is THAT kind of teenage rabbit. You will also need to think about what to do with your rabbit during the holiday. Having someone petsit it is expensive.
So, yeah, I can see your parents' point of view.
Rabbits aren't easy pets. But of course, they are wonderful and they don't smell if you litter train them and wash their cage at least every 3 days or so with white vinegar.
Also, a lot of people advocate that keeping a single rabbit isn't really ideal. If you've read about rabbit you must know that they naturally live in a group. So, some people keep single bunnies and make them happy, I personally couldn't stand to see how sad and lonely my first rabbit looked when I got her. I got a second rabbit a month after getting her and she was a lot happier after that. The two of them got on like houses on fire. When she lost her companion last year, she almost didn't sleep anymore, was always stressed and developed some kind of OCD. It was awful. I took another rabbit in and all her problems disappeared over night. I guess some rabbits can't stand being alone (and I work at home, my rabbits have almost constant presence...). That's also something to consider as it doubles the expenses. When you can get a rabbit, I suggest you look at bonded pairs in a shelter (it will also spare you the expense of neutering / spaying which is pretty expensive).

#1 "they are rats"

As others have said, rabbits are not rats. In fact, your father might be interested to know that rabbits aren't even remotely related to rats. The lagomorphs (rabbits, cottontails, pikas and hares) are another family entirely from rodents like rats or mice. Some scientists did a DNA analysis of lagomorphs and discovered that their closest relatives are, in fact, primates - so you are more closely related to a bunny than they are to rats.

Unfortunately, many people still think of rabbits as cage pets like large hamsters. In fact, as pets, rabbits are much more like dogs or cats - intelligent, personable, loving animals who thrive on (and require) human contact. With an 8-10 year life span (or more), living with a rabbit is a long-term commitment, just like a cat or dog.

They recognize individual humans and react to them as individuals. They can be litter trained (in fact, mine never needed training - they just indicated where they wanted their litter box, and used it from that point on), know their names and understand and obey (mostly) spoken commands (especially if there is a treat attached). They have very definite individual personalities, and aren't a bit shy about letting you know what they like and dislike.

Unlike dogs or cats, they aren't vocal, so you have to learn to recognize body language (which I find to be one of the most interesting things about living with a bunny). They're prey animals, not predators like cats or dogs, so they are initially wary and skittish. You have to earn a rabbit's trust and affection, which takes time - it isn't given instantly. You have to learn how the rabbit wants to interact with you, and get pleasure out of interacting with the rabbit on his or her own terms.

In short, living with a rabbit can be extremely rewarding, but you have to make an effort to connect with the rabbit and learn its ways. It's often said that "dogs have masters, cats have staff and rabbits have slaves" - and there's a lot of truth to that.

You asked for pictures. I've had two mini-rexes, Scone MacBunny (2003-2010) and Natasha Rabbitova (currently six years old and going strong). Here they are:

Scone MacBunny:
7648_141432_160000004.jpg

Natasha Rabbitova:
natasha_9195-8428.jpg

In February, my husband got a letter from my 12 year old explaining why she wanted a bunny. I am a pet person, so I didnt mind if she got one. Well, she convinced him. One reason he didn't want a rabbit was he thought they were all as big as the ones he saw each year in the contests at the fair. he didn't realize they were much smaller and the cages were much smaller. We went to the pet store to look at them and he was hooked too. She got her bunny that night. A lionhead named Munchkin. Two weeks later we rescued a Lop that we named Flopsy. 4 months later, they surprised us with 2 babies, Peanut and Bramble. Our vet was on medical leave and we had to keep them separated all that time. One slip of the baby gate!!!! Anyway, I am the one that does most of the cage cleaning. I can't feed them because I am terribly allergic to the hay, so she does do that. I keep up with the water. I have to make her spend time with them. They have free run of the den as often as we can. 3 chihuahuas and 4 bunnies make quite a show! I wonder if they would change their mind if you actually went and looked at them. Could you pet sit for someone for a weekend? We had planned to do that too. Good luck on your quest for a bunny! Heres a picture of all my bunnies, Bramble, Peanut, Flopsy and Munchkin

DSC_2903.jpg

Here are two closer pictures. Flopsy and Munchkin are the big ones and Peanut and Bramble are the babies

DSC_2901.jpg

DSC_2880.jpg

Last edited:
Back