do you take your rabbit for a walk in the park?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoralover

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Today I was in petsmart when I saw rabbit leashes and collars for sale.I was thinking of getting one....but doesn't it hurt the rabbits neck?I saw rabbit harnesses too...but don't they get out of the harnessanyways? But it would be so cool if you could train a rabbit to walkwith you in the park. I was just wondering, has anyone on this forumused a rabbit leash before? I would love to hear your experience withthe leashes,thanx.Rabbits are being treated like dogs, Cassandra:)

They work well if you are willing to let themlead. They don't walk like dogs--they zigzag all over and stop quicklyto smell things.

I had figure-8 harnesses and they are rather dangerous (as I found).They tend to strangle bunnies when they pull suddenly. H-shapedharnesses seem safer--I'm planning to buy one for Bub when he gets alittle bigger.

Rose

My daughter used to walk her rabbit .i would notuse a collar only a harness.it sort of went were it wanted and shefollowed but makes it easier to get ahold of when its time to put heraway.bluebird

I've walked my rabbits at a local park and theydid great. Of course, they are well socialized and not too nervousaround lots of people, which is important. As long as people askedfirst, I let them pet the rabbits. Little kids were fascinated,especially by Rex's luxurious fur. Most people were pretty interested -I don't think anyone had ever seen a rabbit on a leash before.

I use Hagen harnesses, and they work ok, but they have a tendancy tomove around and under the rabbit's legs. u8myhouse got some greatharnesses for her buns: SuperPet comfort harness.

p42519b.jpg

The mesh on the back is more comfortable and keeps the harness frommoving around. I plan on getting some for my bunnies as soon as I getsome extra cash.

~M

How the heck do you walk a rabbit? Sounds pretty impossible to me. :?

Actually, Lissa, they take you for the walk.

-Carolyn

Unless you use Buck Jones's bunny pack idea, they lead you.

-Carolyn

Caorlyn's right, they lead you! lol.

I'm atempting to see if you can train a rabbit to walk like a dog, withcommands that they listen to and everything because in just over a yearwe will be moving and we wont have runs for them at first so I can takethem for walks alone the creek that runs behind our lot. But if it'snot possible to train them like that, then I'll settle for following!lol, we'll have an unfinished basment for a while and a 3 car garage,we'll make temporary inside runs for them. :D;)

I would be too afraid that they'd break loose and run away.

With the Comfort Harness, if it is securedcorrectly, it is near impossible for a rabbit to get loose or breakaway. And the leash has a metal snap, so it will not come off on it'sown.

I'm not worried about that, I have a very sturdykitten "H" type harness with secure buckles. It fits really well anddespite their attemps, have yet to escape!

I would really hesitate to recommend a collar fora rabbit. First off, they do not need to wear one like a cat or a dog.There's too much of a risk of choking or getting a leg stuck. Second,if a rabbit that is being walked on a collar decides to bolt, theycould injure or kill themselves. Harnesses are much safer, but stillshould only be worn when rabbits are supervised.

I've seen lots of the comfort harnesses atpetsmart and super pet. I hope you have one of those petstores in yourarea. Also thanks everyone for helping me out with this topic....Ireally kno a lot about the rabbit leads now:)I'm going to goout and buy Cotton Ball and Snowy a comfort harness sometime this week.Then I'm going to take them both for a walk in the park and see how itgoes. Wish me luck with training them on how to walk on alead!;)

:DCassandra:D

We have one exactlylike the one pictured above and Sebastian loves it! Weactually take him to the pet stores and he hops up and down the aislesand people think it's so cool. He also hops around in theyard and occasionally we go a block or two with him. It's much easiernow that his coat is short. Before his long hair got caught in theVelcro a bit. He seems very comfortable in it and knows thatit means he gets to go somewhere! :)

Latest posts

Back