Do you let your rabbits alone with your cats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muchloveforbunny

Reaction score
Do you let your rabbits alone with your cats? Orwhen you officially leave the room or the house do you place therabbits back in the cage?

all three of my cats and four out of my five rabbits all either ignore each other or get along really well.

dill, the energizerbunny, will race after them, but they don't seem to mind, they don't run.

but one of the rabbits (pipp) will quite viciously attack the cats --or at least has in the past often enough that the cats are terrified ofher.i used to let her out, anyway, andthe cats would just make sure they never were closer than five feet offthe ground, but nowshe stays in myroom.they don'tgo near theplace. the cats have tried taking swipes at her inself-defense, but she doesn't seem phased at all (she circles aroundand tries to get underneath them). just in case, I keep thekitty's nails clipped, though.

sas and gang

I heard a heart wrenching story a few years agowhere the house cats had eaten the pet bunny while the family wasaway.

I strongly recommend never leaving rabbits unsupervised with other pets.

Pam

I have two kitties (both just over 2yrs old),and now two buns. I never leave them unsupervised together,as they are still bonding. We've only had Maisie about 2.5months now, so we've got a bit to go on the bonding betweenthem. They're doing great, and some real progress is beingmade, but they're not quite to the point of being ok alone...and I'mnot sure I'll ever be comfortable with that, anyway. :)

As for Flower the Bun, she's still quite the baby, and I won't betrying to bond her with the kitties (or four-month-old Maisie) anytimesoon. She's a bun I rescued a couple days ago...and still hasto get healthy before I'll let her run around much (she's got urinescalding on her hind legs).

As with anything...it really comes down to the animal's personalities. :)

maherwoman wrote:
As with anything...it really comes down to the animal'spersonalities. :)

I totally agree with this.

My cat, Sheba, and bunny, Bunnicula, are together a lot. Theyplay together and even snuggle. But Bunnicula is bigger thanSheba so I don't worry about her being eaten.If youtry putting them together, just make sure you supervise heavily so youcan determine if it's really a good idea.

-June

Lol...cute!! I think it's adorablethat your bun outweighs your cat...that's wonderful! I findmyself hoping the same with Maisie, but I don't see her getting thatbig. She probably weighs about 5lbs right now (maybe a bitless), and she's four months old.

As for Flower and her weight...we'll just have to wait andsee. All she's been through may have stunted her growth abit, so we'll see!

I would LOVE to see a bun that's bigger than a cat, though...and Iwould LOVE to see my kitties' reactions to that!!LOL!! I think they'd hide!

juneaf wrote:
maherwoman wrote:
As withanything...it really comes down to the animal'spersonalities. :)

I totally agree with this.

My cat, Sheba, and bunny, Bunnicula, are together a lot. Theyplay together and even snuggle. But Bunnicula is bigger thanSheba so I don't worry about her being eaten.If youtry putting them together, just make sure you supervise heavily so youcan determine if it's really a good idea.

-June

This does have a lot to do with individualpersonalities, but it also has to do with the fact that, unlike humans,our critter kids don't really have the ability to reason.They go with whatever feeling they have.

Latest posts

Back