Do you let your bunnies free-range?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB Millicent

Reaction score
Our buns have a brand new, custom built giant cage thanks to my FIL. While FIL was here, he also completely enclosed our partially-enclosed patio. So now the patio is the "bun room" and I open the door to let them in the yard during the day. Since the bun room is now completely enclosed and predator proof, I don't lock them in their cage at night anymore, I let them hop around in the bun room and put more toys in there for them.

Is this OK? There is nothing that will hurt them in the bun room, but I'm wondering about the day when we have to have them caged at night again (like if we move in a year).

I'm assuming by completely enclosed, that means there is a roof and all (For some reason, to some people "completely enclosed" lacks a roof... *Shrug*). If so, I don't see a problem with it as long as everything is safe.

Can we see some pics?

1311450293.jpg

1311450309.jpg

1311450330.jpg

1311450379.jpg

The windows around the top are covered with 1/4th inch welded wire cloth. The patio is completely enclosed now, and water proof. The year-round temp here ranges from 50-70 degrees, but is mostly about 60-65.

My biggest concern was whether the bunnies really need to be caged at night so they'll sleep.

Wow nice! I let my bunny free roam when I am home and awake to keep an eye on him and the cats. I wouldn't trust to leave him out with the cats when I am not there to break up any fights.

That's an awesome set-up! No, the bunnies will be fine being free-range. It's good for them to have their hutch as their "bedroom", but they can have the option to come and go as they please. They'll be most active at dusk and dawn, and doze like a cat during the day and night.

And they should adapt to any new routine when you move and need to change it, so long as they can still have plenty of roaming time.

Great setup! I let my 3 of my buns have free range 24/7. Baci goes into his cage at night (willingly in exchange for a treat:p) Just make sure no electrical wires plugged in where they can get a hold of to chew on.

That's not a BunRoom, that'a a BunPalace!!! WHAT LUCKY BUNNIES!

They will find their own place to sleep, but usually they like a nice safe dark corner so they'll probably sleep in the hutch anyway.

Initially no but now he's been free-range 24/7 for the last month + at home.

Even at night, he just sleeps in the middle of the living room or wherever he feels like it.

Zero problems so far. :)

You're fine, lucky buns.

Mine has the entire house to play in during the night, and the entire house + patio + backyard to play in during the day. I really don't see a point in locking her up, I tossed her cage away the day she was litter trained.

Can't see why anyone else would lock up their buns... but meh.

Mine have free range of my office when i am studying/working/gaming. It's a medium size room (would fit a king size bed, a large wardrobe that could take up 1 wall, bedside tables and still have room to "swing a cat" as they say. And when i am free they have supervised free range of the apartment minus 1 bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. I'm looking forward to moving into our new house (once we find it -.-) because it's going to be much easier (at least imo) to bunny proof when you're moving into a new place. You can pre plan how to rabbit proof things whereas bunny proofing a place you already live in requires (in my case) moving everything and then moving them back again (Annoying). They will have complete freedom in our new house so im really looking forward to it.

Well, color me envious--that's a gorgeous bunny home! I want, I want, I want! LOL.

My bunny gets free range time in the living room/kitchen/hallway when I am home and able to supervise her. At night she goes in her X pen and the door is closed. Also, if she is being naughty, she goes in her X pen. But generally, she's been pretty good so far, so the arrangement has worked out well.

My rabbit has completely range of our apartment (except the bedroom as there is too much going on in their to make sure it's rabbit proof). He has a very large cage that he loves to chill in, but he is not made to go in it very often.

Once we has rabbit proofed everything and broken him of some naughty bunny habits, he is out all day and 6/7 nights. He's only put into his cage when we have to take a day trip, when my future sister-in-law looks after him if we need to leave the area for more than a day, and when he goes into his travel case for car rides.

Sometimes he gets the cage if he's been naughty. But I can honestly say that since we got him in February that has only happened a dozen times, and all when we first got him.

He is currently making a sleeping spot of my fiancee's pajama pile he left next to the shower this morning. XD

He tends to love the bathroom, our enclosed porch and the kitchen.

Latest posts

Back