do you leave your bunnies alone?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manda

Reaction score
just curious if anyone here leaves there bunnies alone with no one home for two days at the most?

because i do. i make sure they have enough food and then some. andalways fresh water and a clean litterbox before i leave. i feel soguilty when i leave them alone though. i am going to the mountains forONE night and two days(its just a 4 hr drive) i am debatingon asking a friend to come over and check on the rabbits.

We hired a petsitter! (and put him thru hell with questions before we would trust him with our bunns!);)

He has a specific schedule to follow when he and his wife come over tolook after the bunns. If they so much as suspect somethingmight be off...it is a call straight to the vet asap...

We had our lop go shocky on us 2 months ago. He must havedeveloped stasis overnight...the next morning at 8am, he didn't comefor his treats when we called him. He looked OK but he washunching and sitting there. When I checked him he let me holdhis head and turn it side to side, he didn't even pull away.His body temp had dropped and he was cold to the touch. Ispent the rest of the day heating him, massaging his tummy andperiodically giving him Ovol...finally at about 5pm his tummy made ahuge gurgle and his temp started to rise again. Now I fearleaving them alone...if it had been anyone else not used to the bunnsbehavior...he would be dead right now. :(

I would have someone check one them just in case...but as I said I amuber nervous about leaving them in anyones care other than my own...Noone seems to have a really in depth knowledge of bunns aroundhere! But my experience is a total worse case senariotoo. What are the chances of something happening to them??

Dani, Skittles, Peppers and Solembum.

Hi, I totally agree with Runestonez,

We hire a pet sitter to when we go away (which isn'tto darnoften). I write EVERYTHING down for her, I go over everythingwith her before hand.

I put all the Bunnies greens in separate plastic baggies.

Good Luck

Soooska:apollo:

Nope...sometimes if I am going to be away allday I have someone to just come in and take a peek to see thateverything is OK. It costs all of $12.00...I think that ispretty reasonable for peace of mind!:D

If your rabbits run free in the house, Iwouldn't leave them for two days. If you have a friend willing to poptheir head in, why not?

I do it quite often with my 4 buns. Iactually just got back home today from a short trip. We justmade sure they had plenty of food and water Tuesday evening before weheaded over to my gf's house to finish packing and sleep.Next morning we woke up at 4AM got everyone in the car and headed outto Albuquerque, spent the day and night there, woke up this morning andheaded on back here.

I don't think I could leave them any longer than that though.

three days and two nights where the longest ihave left them alone. no problems at all, but i worry about gi stasisovernight, etc etc

id never never never ever go any longer than that

We've left Holly alone but only for one night.The only time that we've had her since then that we've been away fromhome for more than one night she went with us. Depending on where youare traveling there are many hotels that are pet friendly.

She did ok on our travel. She was a littlestressed but I felt so much better having her with us and knowing whatwas going on with her. While my husband drove I had her carrier on mylap and every so often I'd turn the door open towards me and reach inand pet her. I seemed to calm her down a bit. We also got a pad to putin the bottom of her carrier so she wouldn't slide around when we'dturn. That seemed to help alot!

I've left Floppy overnight alone, but I worriedabout him the entire time (didn't have too much fun). We haveto drive halfway across the country a few times a year and he alwaysgoes with us. He does fine in the car, but my husband makesfun of me--Flops has more luggage than he does. Red roof innsand laquintas are pet friendly, we've stopped at nearly all the redroofs between here and Dallas.

When we flew for our honeymoon our vet boarded him, I think it cost $11a day, but I didn't have to worry about any health issues.

The longestperiod of time I would leave my rabbits alone would be overnight. Ican't leave for longer than that anyway, because the cats and therabbits need to be fed twice a day, so extended trips always require apet sitter.

I occasionally leave my rabbits alone overnight,but I try to leave in the late evening and get back in the morning. IfI go away on holiday I leave them with my parents.

Latest posts

Back