Do you keep rabbits OTHER than the breeds that you breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I hope my question makes sense. For instance - I have Angel - a 5 year old retired Polish doe. Never knew much about the polish or cared about them till I got her- now I find myself wanting to get another one (but I don't like breeding the small breeds).

After seeing Roger's mini-rex - not sure I'd want to breed the - but I'd love to have one.

I want another mini-lop so badly too - we had one that we'd rescued and later rehomed. I still kick myself over letting him go - even though I know it was the best thing for him.

So...what "other" bunnies do you like to keep - even if you don't work with the breed?

And why do you keep them? As pets? You rescued it and kept it? Just because?

I raise Dutch and Jersey Woolies. I have been known to have others as well. I had a Belgian Hare as a pet. He was cool. He took a real liking to my dog.

I had a couple himalayans that were technically not mine. They were my friend's and I was just housing them in my cellar so that their color would stay nice for convention. Well, the rabbit that she kept at her house beat the one that was at mine...lol. It ended up winning Best of Breed!

I currently have a Rex/New Zealand mix. I rescued her from a breeder who, in my opinion, doesn't take care of their rabbits very well. I took a liking to her and she is 5 years old now :)

What I really want is a Mini Checkered Giant. Can't wait till they figure out how to "Mini" the current Checkered breed but I am sure someone is trying to work on that.

Sharon

I have two oddballs right now. One is a Californian that I won in a raffle at a show. I put in for her because I wanted to learn more about meat breed rabbits and I though having one would be the best way to do that! I have learned a lot, and since have decided not to pursue them. I am still keeping her right now because she is such a sweetie, but eventually I will have to sell her.

I also have a Tri-colored Mini rex buck that I bought from a friend because she was getting out of rabbits altogether and I took all of her bunnies. Two of them were Netherland Dwarfs and I am now breeding them with my other ones. This little guy is also very nice and everyone loves him at the shows because he is such a rare color. I have been trying to sell him but his pedigree got lost because He has beencirculated around a circle of my friends and has finally come to me so that I can find him a home with a good breeder who will actually take care of him.

I have a mini lop that I took in after the previous owners were going to let her go free outside and I'd love to get another mini rex. I love the mini rex but they are so common around here that I wouldn't want to get into breeding them so if I get another it will be just for a pet.

Right now, I have 1 Rex, 3 Mini Rex, 2 Dutch, 5 Lion-Heads, 1 Jersey Wooly with 4 babies... I am selling most of my rabbits. I am restarting my rabbitry (Thanks to Peg and others). I know that you guys told me stick with one breed at the moment. But I want to just keep Wooly and Lion-Heads. And of course my 2 Manly men bunnies.
I am going with the Wooly and LH because I love the breed. The wooly because my father had one last year and fell in love with it. It was also a REW. But sadly he died from something that I have to clue why. My kids loved him too. So now I have a litter of Wooly but they are mix. BUt the Wooly breeder that I am talking too. Told me that I should keep a doe out of that litter. Keep the best looking one that looks like a Wooly. I wanted to after I seen the gray babies. But I didnt know that I could use them.
The LH's because I love the breed and how much they look like Lions but in a short version.

I am keeping the lonely manly man boys. The blue dutch and the chocolate mini rex. The MR came from Briana with the Wooly. I promised that I will keep them. Plus the MR is getting up there in age. Hes 3 years old. The dutch because he had the hairline fracture a while back. And he almost died a couple months ago from choking on hes pellets. He is a very special little guy. He's Spider-Man to the rescue. (j.k) Hes not a resuce rabbit. I just wanted to say that.

I hope this helps or your question. I dont know. :)

I breed dutch and lionheads.

I also have 6 rescue rabbits. I have a EL doe(older),E angora buck 1-3 years,2 rex mix does ones 3-4 the other 5-7,one jersey wooly doe(7-8 years).And i also just rescued a mini rex buck that had some of his face and front foot burnt off.I also think hes older also.some off the above i have had spayed. But they are all just un-adoptable pets lol

I only started breeding rabbits at the start of this year so I actually have more pet rabbits than breeding stock at the moment. All my pet bunnies are in my avatar.
I have 3 mixes that are bonded (Magic, Coco and Oskar), a bonded pair of lionheads (Raylann and Benny), an odd couple (Lint, a lionlop and Asha, a netherland dwarf). Smokey hasn't got a friend yet but Oskar lets him groom now and again.
Most of them are pet shop bought for various reason, Magic is from an accidental litter and Raylann is a rescue/rehome.
As much as I am tempted but I won't get any more pet rabbits as I really want to focus on the breeding. I can imagine that some of my brood rabbits (certainly my initial trio) will end up as pets.

I Breed Netherland Dwarfs and Flemish Giants.

I have a new zealand white that is a brood, and I have a Satin who is free range.

i've got some of my older retired hollands, while i no longer breed or show them, they're my kids. I had to rehome a lot of my rescue's that I had kept, before I moved. I was going to keep the bonded p;air of neutered Mini lops, but they were killed by my neighbors dog.

i have a pet tan...used to have a nethie.. :( Miss that little guy...

Also used to have a Flemish... some random other rescues. A mini lop/wooly mix and his sister and an english angora.

Right now I just have the tan as my "extra". lol

I think arba recently passed something that now prohibits the breeds to be miniaturized.

I have a thrianta, and few mixes that I keep along with my florida whites, standard chins, newzealands, and mini rex. Gerenally bunnies nobody wanted any more.

i have a britannia petite as my lap bunny :) He's very gorgeous and has won many BOVs and BOBs. I dont normally breed him but i did once to my friends doe. Idk if that counts but he is one sweet crazy little man

I raise Mini Lops as my main breed, I also have a very small number of Hollands. My pet is a French Lop who is my love. She has also been shown and done fairly well. I love her to pieces. :D

I had house rabbits, four, before I ever got into breeding. We had two Dutch, a Flemish, and a small California mix. I still have one of the Dutch, a different Flemish, the California mix, and also a Holland Lop that my husband bought as a pet. I am really excited about getting an American Fuzzy Lop this fall, keeping her as a pet but also possibly showing her once or twice just for kicks.

I love my Flemish, which we breed, but I also value the slightly different personalities and quirks of the others. They just make life more interesting. And there are many breeds of rabbits that are attractive to me, but that I would not additionally want to breed. So having a representative of the breed around as a pet is a way of getting around that itch.

Latest posts

Back