Do you have to get your bunny fixed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper2013

Reaction score
I am not sure where to put this, but I have been wondering if you have to get your bunny fixed or not, and at what age is the best time to get them fixed? Hopper was born in May so she is about 6 months old, and I have been himming and hawwing on if I should be getting her fixed. my hubby says it is not needed, however his family used to breed bunnies and eat them and sell them. so I was just curious on if I should be getting her fixed or not and would it change her personality?

You don't have to, but it is highly recommended. Intact females do have a high risk of reproductive cancers once they hit about 4-5 years old. They can also be quite hormonal, territorial and even aggressive. Not all are like that, but it can get pretty bad for some. They can also have false pregnancies where they will act pregnant and will make a nest. If there is a chance of her being around an intact male, she can get pregnant fairly easily.
Getting her spayed won't change her personality. She may calm down a bit though. There can be a big noticeable difference if she is really hormonal.

For females, they can usually be spayed as early as about 5-6 months. Sometimes weight can be a factor for small breeds, so a vet might prefer to wait a few more months. There really isn't an upper age limit as long as the rabbit is healthy enough to have the surgery.

I would suggest calling some local vets to see if any are rabbit savvy. It is important to have a vet who knows rabbits, even if they are a bit more expensive.

The (fairly intensive) reading I've done on rabbits this year all refers to *one* study, performed in the late 1950s, which examined the rate of uterine and other "female" cancers in unspayed rabbits. I've been unable to find--and have not come across references to--any other studies on rabbit health w/regard to spaying of females specifically.

The risks of major surgery (i.e., abdominal incision) are higher in rabbits than in cats, the other common companion mammal of similar size. Anesthesia risks are also somewhat higher in rabbits than in cats. (My authority for these two sentences is my own veterinarian, when I inquired in August.)

If anyone can guide me to a study of spayed vs. intact female rabbits, their health and longevity, causes of death, etc., that's not almost 60 years old, I would very much appreciate it. :)

In the meantime, I suggest to the OP that she follow her veterinarian's advice in view of potential exposure to intact males for her female, the rabbit's age, overall health and nutritional status, and other relevant factors.

I can't understand making a blanket recommendation about spaying/not spaying a female rabbit, in the absence of recent scientific study. As a comparison, in the late 1950s

--no human babies delivered as early as 26 weeks were considered viable;
--anti-depressant medications consisted only of tranquilizers and lithium-based sedatives/anti-psychotics;
--joint-replacement surgeries weren't even a dream in the minds of surgeons yet; and
--organ transplants had never been attempted.

Surely there is something more recent, more relevant to rabbit health and the modern veterinary understanding, than a study from the late 1950s?

There are many reasons to spay or neuter a rabbit. Behavior changes are another reason. my male because peeing and pooping outside his cage chewing up the baseboards and being aggressive to other pets in the house. The very day he was neutered he stopped doing all those things. he seems to be a very happy and more loving bunny for it. Also if you ever plan to get another rabbit which I have done your rabbit will need to be spayed or neutered to be bonding to their new friend.
As far as cancer I have been told that females have a higher risk of developing cancer after the age of two. I was also told by my vet and other people that rabbits live a longer life if spayed or neutered. Really though the choice is yours to make. I would talk to your vet if you have any concerns they may help clear them up expecially about cancer. See if they have had rabbit patients that developed cancer because they weren't spayed. Best of luck!

My view is probably different from the others. Yes, it's a matter of personal choice. It's not always true that spaying/neutering a rabbit does not change their personality. There was someone on here a few months ago who really regretted getting her bunny neutered because he became a nightmare to live with after that. Not saying this is common, but it's possible. We've had several rabbits get to 4+ years who were healthy and intact. That being said, if your bunny's hormones are making her hard to live with and you have a competent vet who charges a reasonable fee, then why not. It usually helps with litter training.

I would just like to mention that I had a rabbit 4 years old that had the very beginning stages of cancer, so it does happen. Our vet has seen very many come through with it that are too late to be saved, so while it's not documented, it most certainly does happen and more often then you would think. It is not uncommon for them to see.

It is a matter of personal choice. Personally I have always found does to be far more pleasant, easy going and happier after being spayed.

As others have said it is really up to you. However, I personally would never want to live with an unspayed/unneutered rabbit. It helps so much with litter training and behavior issues. My most recent bunny was an un-neutered adult when we got him, and I have seen so much improvement in his litter training, as well as just general household manners since having him neutered. With females especially I have seen some very aggressive and territorial unspayed females. At my local animal shelter they often get unspayed females who are brought in for lunging, growling, biting, and other territorial behaviors that could be helped by spaying. I also have two cats that are neutered, and I look at it the same way. I think cats, dogs, and rabbits all make better pets when they are spayed or neutered.

As far as the cancer issue, I have heard of several cases of uterine cancer on this forum alone. I think if you have a competent and experienced rabbit vet the benefits far outweigh the risks.

The (fairly intensive) reading I've done on rabbits this year all refers to *one* study, performed in the late 1950s, which examined the rate of uterine and other "female" cancers in unspayed rabbits. I've been unable to find--and have not come across references to--any other studies on rabbit health w/regard to spaying of females specifically.

I feel like this isn't something that would ever be repeated. I'm curious too, but if you think about it, with how much cancer research has improved, why would we study this in rabbits anymore?

I think that most people with an interest in pet rabbits wouldn't feel right waiting around for a bunch of rabbits to get cancer, and the benefit of pet owners is the only reason I could see this being researched... But I'm curious about it too.

Thank you all, you all have given me a lot to think about. So far Hopper's litter training is perfect, she goes in her litter box every time except when she is out, she isn't very cuddly, but she does like it when I leave her on the ground or in her cage and pet her. She can be hard to catch when she is our hopping around but usually only I can get her when I want her to go back in her cage. I have been himming and hawing on getting her fixed and if it would make her more cuddily or not. I am currently looking around for a cheap vet that is experiences with rabbits, I have found one, however she is only available on Wednesdays so that makes it harder on me. I am still looking though lol

This is really up to you. I have never spayed or neutered any of my rabbits (was going to neuter our special needs buck but decided against it at the last minute) I have never had terrible behavior problems the only issues I have really seen are during their teenage years (I swear my rabbits are queen Diva's) I have one buck that is 6 years old(my first rabbit), unneutered, 100% healthy, sweet as can be, never sprayed, faithful to his litterbox, and overall a very neat and tidy rabbit. If your rabbit is doing fine as she is, then I would highly recommend against spaying her. You run the risk of her personality changing completely. However, it is said that a rabbit that is not bred, runs a risk of getting uterine cancer once they are over the age of 2-3 years. I breed my own rabbits as well, but I do have some that are just 4H rabbits. The oldest doe I have is almost 5 and she is not spayed nor does she have cancer, My other doe's that are 3 years of age are also perfectly healthy. So with my 3 rabbits 0/3 got cancer. I personally would not put my rabbit under for a risky surgery, I would hate for my rabbit to die on the table during the operation and I would hate for the operation to change my sweet rabbits personality forever.

Try contacting a local shelter. They're the only advocates for alteration bigger than Bob Barker LOL I bet they'd know where you could get it done

Females should be spayed. I had one that was not a year old and when I had her spayed she already had a tumor in her one tube. Females are a high risk of reproductive cancer.

As long as your bunny is healthy, young and your vet is good, I would not worry too much about the spay surgery. We have had so many rabbits done through our rescue and have never lost one to the surgery. I wouldn't worry about personality change either. Bucks can change a lot, but I haven't seen anything but improvement in does. They get so much friendlier after.

However, MAKE SURE that the vet is good, don't just go for the cheaper one no matter how tempting that is.

Ask how many rabbits have they lost on the table, do they fast the rabbits before surgery (NEVER do this!), how many rabbits do they see a year, how many surgeries on rabbits do they do per year, etc.

They can get deadly cancers and sicknesses that may lead to being euthanized. Ad it also shortens your bunnies lifespan 3-5 years when not spayed or neutered.

To be fair, the shorter average lifespan really only applies to females (possibly only non-breeding females, as some breeders seem to find that their retired does live lives as long as their male counterparts). The cancer issue is fairly insignificant in males, as their reproductive system isn't evolved to operate at 200% the way a female's is.

Female rabbits evolved (in the wild) around being able to mass-produce offspring - right down to having a bifurcated uterus, being "induced ovulators" and being especially receptive towards getting pregnant in the first 72 hours after giving birth. The first two characteristics are relatively unique in the mammal world - a bifurcated uterus allows mom to carry two litters (which can be of different ages and sired by different males) at once; induced ovulation means that they ovulate *after* sex occurs as a direct response to having sex - most non-egg-laying mammals ovulate (aka "go into heat" for animals) on a regular schedule.

Rabbits also have a very short gestation period compared to other mammals with a similar life-span - they're designed for a quick turn-around time between the start of one pregnancy and the start of the next - and they produce somewhat large litters (typically from 4-12 kits).

In the wild, rabbits have a very short life span because they're fragile prey creatures. To succeed (meaning to propagate the species and maintain their overall population), rabbits have to be able to crank out those babies. In addition to all the characteristics mentioned above (which are shared by both domesticated and wild rabbits), wild rabbits' offspring are often out on their own by 4-5 weeks of age so that mom can care for the next litter (compared to 6-8 for the offspring of domesticated rabbits).

Unlike females, the reproductive system of a male rabbit has no major/noteworthy differences from that of males of most other species - it's the female whose biology has evolved to accommodate mass-production of offspring, hence females have display sky-high risks for reproductive cancers compared to males.

~~~~~

Feel free to skip the rest of this post if you've got no interest in a biology lesson/refresher course - while I LOVE biology, I know this stuff tends to bore most people (kind of like me and Chemistry classes, lol).

For comparison purposes:

In a fertile/"normal" human female of reproductive age who is not currently pregnant, her body prepares itself for pregnancy on a monthly cycle (technically, 25-35 days, varying from woman to woman). Like in ALL mammals, the reproductive system's behavior is regulated by hormones.

In the first half of a woman's cycle, the wall of the uterus thickens and - once an egg is released - the lining is prepared so that it will be receptive to the implantation of a fertilized egg. One egg is released from an ovary (which one it is in any given cycle appears to be random) with rare exception - for example, fraternal twins occur when BOTH ovaries release an egg (identical twins form from a single egg after fertilization occurs). The egg enters the adjacent fallopian tube and waits to be fertilized (it breaks down if not fertilized within a day).

The process that results in an egg being released actually begins at the very start of a woman's cycle (ie right after menstruation ends) - it takes about half the cycle for a woman's body to determine which follicle of many will ultimately be the one to fully develop into an egg and then for that development to occur. If fertilization does not occur, the uterine lining will be shed via menstruation as the final part of the cycle... then her body does the whole thing over again... every freaking month for decades *grumble*.

While that's a (relatively) simplified version of things, a human female's reproductive system is basically "doing stuff" 24/7/365 in order to prepare for the 1-2 days out of each month that she's actually fertile (technically speaking, the fertility window that people looking to prevent or achieve pregnancy are concerned with is longer than this, but that's accounting for the life-span of sperm). Now imagine how busy it would be if it had to do enough "stuff" to be fertile **** near ALL the time...

[Disclaimer: Much of the readily available "scientific" information about rabbits' reproductive systems seems to be publicized through the meat rabbit industry; in particular, through agricultural schools. This makes sense, as those who breed for other purposes are more "hobbyists" than part of "an industry" - you don't go to school to get a degree in breeding show rabbits. This isn't to suggest that non-commercial breeders are less educated/informed about rabbit husbandry - it's just that information specific to non-meat rabbit breeding is disseminated differently and less publicly; also, the agricultural industry has a different focus for their research - responsible non-commercial breeders have no interest in "getting the most" out of their does as they breed for quality, not quantity, so at times, they may follow "conventional wisdom" more than nitty-gritty scientific crap.

What I'm getting at is that some of the links in this post are to sites where the practice of producing/raising meat rabbits is discussed
. While there is NO "graphic" information on any pages I've linked to, certain links may never-the-less be considered "offensive" (as a matter of principle) by some pet owners/non-commercial breeders. That said, the links are primarily only there as a pseudo-bibliography anyway, just in case someone wants to check my sources.]

Rabbits don't ovulate on a set schedule, but rather 9-13 hours after sex occurs. Not all female rabbits are always receptive to mating - from http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Fem_rabbit/Fem_en.htm:

A certain cycle does nevertheless exist. The presence of the estrogen hormone will influence the size and the color of the vulva. Most female rabbits are receptive to a male and prone to mate when their vulva is colored reddish/purple, and will refuse to mate when their vulva is pale and small. This is no clear indication though, as some female rabbits will mate when their vulva is pale and small.
(Another source suggested only about 10% will be receptive to mating and do so successfully when their vulva is pale and small.)

An interesting side note - I just learned that females are actually infertile during a "false pregnancy". (Sources: UW-Madison animal studies website and wikivet , among others) Even more interesting, according to an agricultural university site that I just skimmed, false pregnancy can result from girl-on-girl humping in rabbits (which can be caused by hormones in unspayed females in addition to being a dominance display in any females) :p - "Sometime females may stimulate each other to the point of stimulation." (It's phrased a bit awkwardly; basically, it's possible for females to stimulate each other enough to induce ovulation.) [This information is verified by another site, which is focused on show rabbits - "These false pregnancies may result from infertile mating or from sexual excitement when does 'ride' each other in group housing.] Presumably, the same results might be achievable through a rabbit "humping" one of her toys.

According to the first site that mentioned girl-on-girl action, "It is known that follicles develop and regress in cycles of 15-16 days" (regarding follicles inside the ovaries which have to develop in order to release an egg). However, the second site says "Due to the fact that sexually active does normally have follicles present on the ovary, the time of breeding is dictated, to a large degree, by the number of litters desired per year." Another page from the UW-Madison site says "Estrous cycle: No regular cycle although females are usually receptive to breeding at 4-6 day intervals: Induced ovulator."

I'm guessing the truth is in the middle - that, while follicles are always present, the number of developed follicles (ie ready to release eggs) varies in a cyclical fashion, affecting the desire to mate and odds of successful pregnancy. This means that even though female rabbits can theoretically get pregnant at any time, they're more receptive towards mating and more likely to become pregnant at some times than they are at other times.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to track down the nitty-gritty scientific details of how many follicles are developing at any given time and only vague information about how the uterine lining is prepared for pregnancy (though it seems to be triggered by ovulation).

The TL:DR of all of this is that, while I can't explain the specifics, a female rabbit's reproductive system has to be "ready to go" at a moment's notice rather than having a pre-determined cycle for when eggs are released. One can gather from common sense and what information I *did* find that a female rabbit's reproductive system is pretty much in "overdrive" relative to non-lagomorph mammals (in terms of what it's doing to prepare for the possibility of pregnancy), meaning the rate of cell division/reproduction in the ovaries and uterus is presumably much higher than in most mammals... and cancer cells result from routine cell division gone awry, so their high cancer rates should come as no surprise.

While I didn't cite it specifically, I also found http://www.fao.org/docrep/t1690e/t1690e05.htm to be an interesting read (though it is meat-rabbit oriented, it has some good general information).

Anyway, sorry for the semi-off-topic wall of text! I figured some people might be interested in why spaying is so much more important in female rabbits than in most species and more important than neutering is in male rabbits.

Latest posts

Back