Do you have a bunny first aid kit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bittybunny_harper

Reaction score
As a first time bun mom I'm thinking this would be a good thing to have. Do you have one for your bun(s)?what do you have in them?

Having first aid is a really great idea! And you can keep things in there like a syringe, extra fleece etc. Or depending what country you live in, you can check with other people that live in your country the names of products they have in their first aid kits. Because often the names of products changes country to country :)

Hmm...I didn't have one for my bun, but I did have one of those 'stop the bleeding' sticks in case I ever trimmed a nail too short. I never did, but he did surprise me by hopping into a trash can once, snagging his paw on the way down. I used the stick and it worked immediately. That was the only time he ever got injured.

As far as being sick, I'm not sure there's really anything to have on hand for that, everything My bun needed had to come from the vet as the need arose. I'm interested to see what other bunny parents have to say!

styptic powder, like Kwik Stop (baking flour or corn starch will also do the job)stops the bleeding of nails cut too close to the quick (not to be used on skin)
A&D original or plain Desitin diaper ointmentUsed in the treatment of sore hocks or other sore areas on the rabbit's skin. Be sure to use only original A&D and plain Desitin - not a variety with zinc, aloe, or other additions. These additives can cause harm to rabbits, in some cases.
infant simethicone (gas relief drops)relieves minor gas symptoms
heating pad or hot water bottlefor shock or hypothermia - be sure to wrap the bottle in a towel
eye dropper/oral syringeto administer liquids, medication, or foods that have been liquefied in the event bunny stops eating (3cc for medication, 40cc for hand feeding)
small jars of plain baby food with no additives or preservativesfor giving tablet medications or as calorie supplement for rabbits who are not eating (use apple sauce or fruit/apple sauce mixes, pear, carrot, squash, or even canned pumpkin - not pumpkin pie filling)
cotton swabs, cotton ballsto clean scent glands; to clean wounds
Betadine or hydrogen peroxidefor cleaning surface wounds and abscesses (use hydrogen peroxide diluted)
gauze bandages, butterfly bandages, bandaging padshave a variety of bandages on hand to dress wounds
triple antiobiotic, like Neosporin or similar generic brandused to treat wounds (do NOT use Neosporin Plus) consult your vet before treating a wound since a wound can lead to abscesses

baby cornstarch powder (NOT baby powder, containing talc)used for a "dry bath" to clean a messy bottom due to runny stool or urine leakage (preferred method over a wet bath)
flea combsafest way to get rid of a mild case of fleas - after each combing, rinse the comb by dipping it in warm, soapy water to kill the fleas
Rescue Remedycan be used to minimize anxiety caused by stressful situations (can be found in nutrition stores or at www.feelbach.com and other online retailers)
Petromalt (original flavor)during high-shed seasons, can be used as a preventative treatment to move hair through the digestive system (do not use on a daily basis or once GI stasis has developed)
digital infant thermometerto take temperature (apply lubricant and insert gently into rectum; normal rabbit temperature is 101-103 degrees Fahrenheit); ask your vet to show you how
petroleum jelly or KY jellya lubricant to use with the thermometer
saline eye washto flush foreign matter out of eyes
stethoscopefor listening to gut sounds (inexpensive versions can be found at medical supply stores)
otoscopeto check inside the ears (inexpensive versions can be found at medical supply stores)

http://www.rabbitcare.org/help.htm

Last edited:
iLuvMyLilBuns That is a really great list! I have alot of these in my home and never thought my rabbit could use them! :) bittybunny that is a great idea that I never really thought of my self as a first time bunny mom. I really should put one together :)

Yes, I bought mine from the Illinois House Rabbit Society. It was great and had most of the things put in it that was listed by iLuvMyLilBuns. I've used it a good couple
of times when Brooke has gotten stomach problems or GI Statis from eating crap that she should not have. Just two days ago I used it when she had an upset tummy and
got the organic baby food out to syringe feed her. You can never have enough syringes in that kit also either for CRITICAL CARE which is necessary for any rabbit emergency kit, or Baby Food to feed your bunnies when they won't eat when they have stomach upset..

Vanessa

Only thing I see missing is Critical Care... which is tops when your bun stops
eating or has upset tummy and doesn't want to eat food..

Vanessa

styptic powder, like Kwik Stop (baking flour or corn starch will also do the job)stops the bleeding of nails cut too close to the quick (not to be used on skin)
A&D original or plain Desitin diaper ointmentUsed in the treatment of sore hocks or other sore areas on the rabbit's skin. Be sure to use only original A&D and plain Desitin - not a variety with zinc, aloe, or other additions. These additives can cause harm to rabbits, in some cases.
infant simethicone (gas relief drops)relieves minor gas symptoms
heating pad or hot water bottlefor shock or hypothermia - be sure to wrap the bottle in a towel
eye dropper/oral syringeto administer liquids, medication, or foods that have been liquefied in the event bunny stops eating (3cc for medication, 40cc for hand feeding)
small jars of plain baby food with no additives or preservativesfor giving tablet medications or as calorie supplement for rabbits who are not eating (use apple sauce or fruit/apple sauce mixes, pear, carrot, squash, or even canned pumpkin - not pumpkin pie filling)
cotton swabs, cotton ballsto clean scent glands; to clean wounds
Betadine or hydrogen peroxidefor cleaning surface wounds and abscesses (use hydrogen peroxide diluted)
gauze bandages, butterfly bandages, bandaging padshave a variety of bandages on hand to dress wounds
triple antiobiotic, like Neosporin or similar generic brandused to treat wounds (do NOT use Neosporin Plus) consult your vet before treating a wound since a wound can lead to abscesses

baby cornstarch powder (NOT baby powder, containing talc)used for a "dry bath" to clean a messy bottom due to runny stool or urine leakage (preferred method over a wet bath)
flea combsafest way to get rid of a mild case of fleas - after each combing, rinse the comb by dipping it in warm, soapy water to kill the fleas
Rescue Remedycan be used to minimize anxiety caused by stressful situations (can be found in nutrition stores or at www.feelbach.com and other online retailers)
Petromalt (original flavor)during high-shed seasons, can be used as a preventative treatment to move hair through the digestive system (do not use on a daily basis or once GI stasis has developed)
digital infant thermometerto take temperature (apply lubricant and insert gently into rectum; normal rabbit temperature is 101-103 degrees Fahrenheit); ask your vet to show you how
petroleum jelly or KY jellya lubricant to use with the thermometer
saline eye washto flush foreign matter out of eyes
stethoscopefor listening to gut sounds (inexpensive versions can be found at medical supply stores)
otoscopeto check inside the ears (inexpensive versions can be found at medical supply stores)

http://www.rabbitcare.org/help.htm

Back