Do they let taking animals on planes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitsrock_love

Reaction score
Well, I'm born in America but my parents are chinese and I recently came to China to vacation. Well, that's where I got Snowflake and when I leave, can I take Sowflake on the plane? Where will I put her? Do you need to buy an extra ticket? This is my first time taking a pet home back to the US, so I don't know how!:?And I'll miss Snowflake!

It depends on the airline. You would have to check with them to see if they allow animals in the cabin. There is usually a fee to do this. Most airlines let animals travel as cargo. They have a special climate-controlled area in cargo and an attendent to watch over them. Again, you would need to check with the airline.

I'd imagine it would cost quite a lot and be very hard to get a bunny from China and be able to bring it straight back to the US? I'm sure they have all kinds of regulations and stuff.

I too think the bigger problem would be having customs allow the bunny into the country. I know when a member moved from the UK to Canada her bunnies had to be in quarrantine at the airport for several weeks before she could take them to her home.

Well I didn't take my bunny but I know I *could* have brought her to the Netherlands from Canada. Hmm we were flying with KLM and they allowed pets in cabin up to a certain weight (specific restrictions on the carrier as well - had to fit under the seat) or they also flew them as cargo. Now, it cost 200$ per pet to fly cargo, no matter the size.

I cannot remember 100% what the requirements were but microchip and health certificate were required I believe. I don't think they needed anything else. Those were the airline regulations. Each country has its own regulations as well so you'd have to check what the US has as laws.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to bring anything from China to be honest... :?

Are you in Mainland China? I know that horses from anywhere outside of Asia cannot go into/out of Mainland China (the equestrian part of the Beijing Olympics were held in Hong Kong to avoid this problem). I don't know if it is the same for rabbits.

Best of luck though!

You really need to look up the import laws for the USA and the export laws for China. Each country is different and the rules depend on the country you are coming from and going to. For example, if I were to go to the USA and wanted to bring a rabbit back to Canada, there would not be much of as issue as long as the rabbit is healthy. If I was coming back form another country, the rules would be different.

Each airline is different as to what it allows. Some allow cats, small dogs and rabbit in the cabin as long as it can fit in a carrier under the seat. Most allow pets in the cargo area, but may restrict the species, breeds and times when they are allowed to travel. There are fees involved in either way, but they can vary for the airline, size of the carrier and where you are going. You would be looking at $50-200 on average.

Start doing the research now. If you need health certificates or to book the flight in advance, you don't want to find out about it a couple days before you leave.

Keep in mind that while you might be able to bring a rabbit without too much trouble, it can be harder to bring the food. You probably won't be allowed to put hay in the carrier and it might be confiscated at customs due to the possibility of parasites and other bugs. The same can go for pellets, so you should try to make sure you can get the brand in the states or switch to something before hand. Bring an unopened bag of food with you, but make it a small bag so you don't lose too much.

Latest posts

Back