Do these teeth look normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
DSC_0785.jpg

Hiyo - it's me again, posting about Penny again :(

I was petting Penny and hand feeding her a pellet when she took a chomper to my fingers. It hurt a little bit too much so I flipped her over to take a look. She has a sorta chip on the upper left incisor. Is that normal wear and tear for a tooth or are her teeth getting too long and she chipped it on something??

The vet about a month ago said that she has very sharp teeth. Various nips on my body echo that opinion:( A nip like that from any other bun wouldn't have left a mark but from her, it was like being stuck with a needle. Are her incisors badly aligned? :(

Do they have to meet up perfectly for the teeth to wear down? I think I have seen my other two buns' teeth and didn't see that they were that lined up either. But Penny's teeth definitely look a little further apart when her jaw is down.

Rabbits bottom teeth naturally sit just behind the top - they actually have two sets at the top one behind the other. Those teeth don't look quite normal though. I agree the bottom ones look too far apart and the top ones look like they are slightly angled in towards each other. I can't see where the bottom ones stop but the top aren't too long. It's definitely something you should check regularly to make sure they are wearing and feed plenty of hay or grass to help with it.

Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but it looks like maybe her top right incisor has a peg tooth growing down past the length of the normal tooth? The peg teeth are usually really small and short, and don't go that far. Am I seeing it right?

I see. Will she chew on pinecones, wood sticks, or wood blocks? That might help. The bottom teeth are a bit farther apart than usual but I wouldn't worry about it unless it bothers her or they start to look worse. There's not a lot you can do--I was once told about "bunny braces" but that is a bit strange and I think the person was trying to pull my leg.

Latest posts

Back