Do these kits look ok?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy-Henry

Reaction score
This kit was 1 day and 16 hours old (took almost 24 hours ago). This is my first time breeding and my girls first litter of 6 (no stillbirths). They are Lionhead. Does it look an average size?

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1381889235.358014.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

If that's one kit filling up your hand then I'd say it's pretty big for a newborn lionhead. Are they all that big or just this one?

I haven't held them all as I'm afraid of agitating the doe, but they all seem to be this size. I thought they looked smaller than others, but I guess with big litter for her first they wouldn't be as big..?

So they look ok? Thanks :)

I don't raise lionheads but my Polish newborns are about that size. If you can distract the mom with a treat away from the nestbox then you can check them all.

Ok I will do that in the morning as I live in the UK and it's 4am here lol. Ok, good so I'm guessing they're average size :). Thanks!

They look normal. The size may also depend on the parents size. By experience with my first lion head litter, the father was much bigger than the mother, when she gave birth the baby's were to big, they all die before getting out. I breed the same doe with a smaller Buck, and look old pictures of them a the same age, they look the same size.
Once they are out, being to big is not a problem, you just have to worry of to small like this one:
320539_470477382995977_1614985410_n.jpg

On the 4 baby, the smaller one is a peanut, they will die and you can do nothing for them. When other baby grow they go smaller and smaller.

You may start to see the funny thing in Lionhead, when they are a few day old they look like that:
11897_533829643327417_959941263_n.jpg

Thank you xena! I haven't properly checked them all still but Im sure there is one smaller than the rest. How old where they in the first image Xena? This is one of the kits now at 5 days old.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1382159671.459675.jpg

The first picture is a litter of Netherland Dwarf born only a few hours before.
At 5 days, a peanut will look like a skeleton, if they are not dead, they only have skin and bones.
Some baby may be smaller, but will live well. Some other will die at 1 month ( I dont know why ).
Small breed are a little tricky.

The first litter is a little tricky and stessfull. With time you learn things and it will be less stressfull.
My first litter, I was scared to take the baby, but now a take them less than 1 day old and had no problem with the mothers. Actualy if you have 2 litter about the same age, you can exchange babies and the mothers will not care at all, or give all the babies to one mother in the case of one mother don't nurse her babies ( or a ilness ). I succesfully did that twice with litter about 1 or 2 days between their birth.

Yeah I got told that peanuts are most frequent in Netherland Dwarfs. My babies are almost 8 days old now and I don't see a odd one out, we actually got them out for the first time (all together) when they where 6 days old and Ruby hasn't had 6 kits, she's had 7! It was a total shock to me and my family, lol. Here are updated pictures.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1382327061.483061.jpg

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1382327087.534499.jpg

They are all there at 6 days old in the above pictures.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1382327115.525126.jpg

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1382327130.391924.jpg

And that is two of them at a week old, do they seem the average age? Their ears are not as pinned back anymore, it's adorable and they're growing their fur! I can just about see what colours they are, I'm so excited. Ruby has done an amazing job!

Thank you all :) I will take a most recent photo later on today. They're all still thriving and healthy! There eyes should be opening any day now :D

Back