Do small breeds grow faster??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jil101ca

Reaction score
I have 2 litters of 19 days old kits.Litter #1 is of nine is a large breed, New Zealand and Cali cross Litter #2 is small bred mutts. The doe weighs 6 lbs and the buck weighs 3. Litter #2 are the same size as Litter #1. The only difference is litter #2 have short stubby ears and are more solid/blockier in body type. Can I assume that litter #2 will mature the same size regardless of parents size or do smaller breeds grow faster?

Generally speaking, the smaller breeds mature faster than the larger breeds, but they don't grow faster. NZand Californians (or mixes) are meant togrow pretty fast (being as they are consideredmeat breeds). But they don't mature as fast as Mini Rex or Netherland Dwarfs.

You don't say what breed the "mixed" 6 lb.doe is. If she has "larger" breeds behind her, (like NZ/Rex/Satin/etc.) she could pass onthe "larger" gene. In that case, both litters might matureat a simialar rate. Even though you used a smaller buck, the doe's (larger size) gene's may have been dominant.

It's a tough call when you're working with mixed breeds. Especially if you don't know what's "behind" them.

I guess I will just have to wait and see how they grow. The 6 lb doe (Blackie) has had kits grow to large breed sizes before ( when breed to alarger breedbuck)but they take almost amonth longer. This is the first time I bred her to my small buck. Most of her kits have little dwarf looking ears. but they have very solid body then again so does their Dad. He is small but very stocky.

I don't know the answer to your question - but I want to say that it is good to see you posting again! I was about ready to send out a search party 'cause I hadn't seen any posts from you lately....

:biggrin2:

Back