Do rabbits poop less at night?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeStevens

Reaction score
I put my rabbits in their pan last night just before bed with a fresh litter box. I noticed this morning that there was not much poop in there - maybe a dozen pellets or so in the pen (most were in the box but they are not a super fastidious pair of rabbits).

When I feed them pellets and veg in the morning they were all over it and ate well so I don't think either of them is having issues.

Is it normal for them to poop less overnight? Usually I replace the litter earlier in the day.

I guess it could depend on your buns sleeping schedule. Not sure about night, but during the middle of the day my rabbits are usually sleeping, so don't poop very much during that time. The majority of their pooping happens around breakfast and dinnertime.

My bun Stewie poops the most in the evening hours..that is also when he's most active so ya it would depend on your buns habits

Rabbits sometimes go a few hours with minimal pooping only to turn around and leave a HUGE pile of poop :p. I'm just glad all is well with them!

Since everything seems to be just fine with them, you might try continuing to change the litter box before bed like you did last night for a few days, just to establish whether a fairly low poop output at night is "normal" for them. Rabbits are creatures of routine and masters of hiding illness - sometimes the smallest sign that something is off is the only sign you get, so the more you know about what's "normal", the more likely you are to catch a problem early :).

Latest posts

Back