Do rabbits NEED friends?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyFofo

Reaction score
Hello all! Idecided to bring the girl bunny that I had gottena few days ago back, I was too worried about her "acidentally" gettingpreg. by my male. I decided one bunny was easier and better for me right now. Thething that I am wondering is how many people think that a neutered (soon to be) male bun will be ok by himself? Does anyone think that bunnies do better with a friend?

Thank you!

The male should be fine as long as u give him alot of attention so he doesnt feel lonely . The bonding process will be very long but it is usually easier trying to bond a male and a female but make sure that they are both fixed. I have tried bonding two males and everytime they saw eachother it would result in a terrible fight . Always have a spare cage( or whatever you keep your bunnies in ) in case of them not getting along :)

thank you for the reply. I am thinking about keeping the male by himself. I may get a spayed female in a year or so. I give bunny fufu tons of attention. He gets let out 3-4 times a day, groomed once a day (he has fuzzy hair). So attention should not be a problem in my house. :D

Just wanted some opinions about rabbits getting lonely or not! Any one else think they should have a friend, or will a rabbit be ok alone?

Thank you so much!

He could be left by himself, although some rabbits really enjoy company of another rabbit. They don't need another bun to be with in most cases, but some rabbits do better in pairs, while some just like to be on their own. It all depends on the rabbit.

Go by your situation. If it's best for you to only have one rabbit right now, then stick with one bunny until your ready to get another one if you wish.

Rabbits are VERY social creatures and rarely are all that happy ontheir own (although most humans can't tell how well they weredoing until they actually see themwith a companion).

But. They don't necessarily have to bond with another bunny. They need a friend/mate, be it humanor another animal. (Lots of stories ofbunniesbonding with cats, dogs, guinea pigs and in the wild, even deer). A bunny alone will even bond with a stuffed toy (although that's desperation and never very satisifying I'm sure).

I'm bonded with Pipp, and we're together pretty much all the time. She sleeps with me, we have long pet sessions, we play together... (well, I type, she plays on my lap). My bonded pairs, Dill (who has also bonded with me)and Sherry, and Darry and Radar, stick to each other like glue.

If somebody isfinding it hard bonding a bunny to another bunny, it'sa good bet the bunny already thinks its bonded to the human and is being territorial.

sasand the warren

My son and I adopted already bonded Tina& Turbo early June this year. Im glad we got 2. They are leftalone for about 5hrs every day when everyone is either at school orwork. Oh man do they love each other! always cleaning one another,laying against each other, etc.

Latest posts

Back