Do Rabbits need a mate?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupertismygod

Reaction score
I have two rabbits. The male is about 8-9 months old, and the female is 10-12 months old.

I've unsuccessfully tried to bond them. They end up fighting, and biting each other with fur flying around.

The male is neutered, the female is not spayed.

I plan on getting her spayed soon, in 3-4 months.

She is territorial in her cage, and bites you if you put your hand in her cage.

My first question is, will getting her spayed reduce her biting & aggressive urges?

If she becomes calm as a result of the surgery, would I have a higher chance of bonding them again, or do they already hate each other now?

They've lived together in the same room for 2 months, but in separate cages. They see each other and are probably used to each others odor by now.

Will they become depressed if they are living alone in their cage? Do they need another rabbit living with them for company, like cuddling or licking each other?

They get daily exercise, and human interaction (petting, grooming) for at least 3 hours every day. Plus, they are in my bedroom, so I'm with them at least 10 hours everyday in the same room.

Getting her spayed will definitely help calm her down. I wouldn't try bonding them again until she is done. It won't guarantee they will bond but will increase the chances a lot.

Spaying will most definately help. I don't think that rabbits necessarily need a friend, but think that they are happier with a bonded companion. I couldn't imagine Sparky and Scooter without each other.

At night, they stare at each other for long periods of time. Could this mean, they want to meet each other?

But, the two times I've introduced them to each other, it starts by a biting/nipping fight, I separate them instantly after one tries to bite the other. Then, I'm too nervous to try again, because I don't want them to hurt each other.

The female usually throws the first bite, and she is not spayed, so I'd imagine this is the problem. The female also bites you, if you put your hand in her cage. I intend on spaying the female, but only in 3-4 months.

The male, who is neutered is so calm, all the time. Unless he is bitten first or provoked, which is normal it's self-defense.

Once your girl is spayed and healed try re-introducing them. An unspayed female tends to be more aggressively territorial. Keep in mind that some rabbits are simply more territorial than others.

Rabbits do not have to have a furry companion to be happy, although some truly enjoy the companionship. Keep in mind that sometimes those little fur-flying tiffs are the rabbits' way of establishing the pecking order. I have two mini lop does that are housed together throughout the winter months (during the summer they are both bred and raising litters so are separate), well every fall when I put them back together they spend the first day kicking and fur flying- after that they snuggle together and push a whiffle ball back and forth with each other- back to being best of friends.

That's so beautiful. I love it when I see two buns together. I really hope the spaying calms her down, I really want them to be friends and play with each other.

when you do try to bond, dont let the mounting one mount the head >.< when i was taking care of max one bunny got into the other bunny's cage and they fought and apparently max tried to mount Dante's head and Dante bit his under side. not anything major thank god, but its still not a good thing...

It took our rabbits 9 months before they decided amongst themselves to get along with each other! Cosmo is neuteured and Star isn't and they seem to get along just fine now, they are like an old married couple! We tried everything from putting them in a room they weren't familar with but then it was strange, they just started to bond with each other by themselves. It can take such a long time though!

Spaying should help immensely. Bonding two buns if one of them is unfixed almost always ends in fights.

I don't think it's too late either - unless they've fought to the point of blood and deep wounds, there are no lasting issues. Just keep them separate until your girl is spayed, wait 6 weeks for her hormones to die down, then introduce them again. I think you'll have much different results.

Are they big cages. You might try letting them run around in a large area. That way they have space to back down. If they are at each other's throats in a big space. You may have to keep them apart.

Does she bite always when you put your hand in the cage or only when you're late with the food? I've had nasty bites from sweet rabbits because I was a few hours late feeding them. Hungry rabbits turn into little monsters.

Latest posts

Back