Do rabbits like being petted?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picklezon

Reaction score
do rabbits like being petted? or is it just some.. because i pet mine and then he'll push my hand or nip very softly (sometimes) . ive had him for a day so idk if he's scared or what?

Usually they push your hand or nip when they want MORE petting. :)

Try sitting or laying in the floor with your rabbit and let him get used to you. He may still be nervous if he's only been there one day.

How old is your rabbit?

If he's not too young, you could sit in the floor and offer a treat when he comes to you. If he's still a baby, you could use pelletsas his "treat".

i was just petting him a minute ago while slightly laying down.. he a little bit started to grind his teeth, but then he niped at my arm, and hand, like he wanted me to leave him alone. his bites dont hurt at all, yu acn barely feel them, but i dont want him to have a habbit, and start biting harder.

It sounds as if he is demanding more petting!

If he's grinding his teeth while you're petting him, he's enjoying it. He just doesn't want you to stop.

Mine used to nip softly, so I would just say, "OUCH" in a high, louder voice (not yelling) and they eventually got the idea and quit.

He's probably just exploring his new surroundings and adjusting to everything.

Try just sitting or laying in the floor without petting him. I have to do that with one of mine. I have to let her come to me. She doesn't like it when I pet her, but she'll crawl all over me if I just sit there.

Pellets, hay and water for now.

The pellets should not have any "extras" in there - just the brown pellets (no seeds, cereal or other bits).

Some use Alfalfa pellets at that age, but I've always used Timothy pellets and hay and haven't had any problems.

ok thanks.. another question, i tried feeding him hay with my hands and he wouldnt take it.. but do you think he will take the pellets.

Most rabbits will take pellets out of your hands; it serves as a good way to build trust. Not all bunnies will take hay from your hand. Devon has never taken hay out of my hand, but will regularly take pellets, veggies, and treats.

He may not be comfortable enough yet to eat from your hand.

Keep fresh pellets in a bowl in his cage.

Do you have a hay rack? If not, you can put some in the end of his litter box.He will eat from one end andpotty in the other end. This will help with litter box training, too.

Latest posts

Back