Do rabbits and kittens get along?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merf

Reaction score
Hi All,

I wanted to know if rabbits and kittens get a long? And if so, how would I go about introducing them to each other? Without one or the other feeling threatened or scared.... I want to make sure they get a long. Is there any way to ensure they "kick it off" right?

I ask because we are currently caring for 4 six week old feral kittens. A local no kill cat rescue foundation may come Monday to take the kittens, which is fine because I know they will find the kitties great homes. But I really want to keep one of them, the runt of the litter. He's 6 weeks old, is 1.3 lbs, and super adorable. Plus, I had to take him to the vet this morning because there was blood in his urine (he's on antibiotics now and will be okay)... so I spent about $100 on a kitten I don't own.

Dopey is a 3.5lb mini lop and is 4 years old. He's super spoiled and is very close/affectionate with me. In the past, when I've fed the homeless cats on our back patio... he's come up nudged me to get me away from them. So that's why I don't know if he'd get along with the kitten.

If anyone could give any tips or suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Oh yea, can rabbits get any diseases or anything elsefrom kittens? The kitten has not been vaccinated yet.

Thank you :big wink:

Generally, I would say they get along. We had a foster mom that was also fostering a litter of kittens. The rabbit "adopted" the kittens and they would all snuggle together. The rabbit would even groom them.

I'm not sure about vaccines and such. My cat was around 8mos old when I introduced her to my buns after getting her from a shelter. She was already spayed and she went through a phase of upper respiratory and ringworm. So until that was clear she was not allowed to be around them. She wasn't a big hunter for bigger animals and only cared to really smell them. I noticed if she had that hunter eye and would tell her no if she showed any type of predatory behavior. She learned no very well from me before she was introduced and listened pretty well.

She wasn't big into going up to the buns but would allow them to come to her they would touch noses and smell and the bun would run off. I'm not sure if I would let a feral kitten around the buns but if you feel like you can have a handle on her then its really up to how confident you feel. If my cat ever swatted at the buns or chased them (she hasnt ever though) I would correct the behavior. I still wouldn't ever leave my cat alone with the rabbits but do encourage them to interact with each other while I am watching.

If either parties do not show liking to one another, especially if dopey doesn't then I would let it go and MAYBE try when the kitten is older.

When my tans are running on the boards I'll put my cat on there. Sometimes she even lays down and just watches them.
100_0294.jpg

I've got 4 cats and 3 out of them have no worries, old Sir Puss will actually sit next to her and has groomed her more than once, Cas (one of the 18 month old brothers I have) wants to play and will let Ash chase him around for a bit. The only one who doesn't like the bunny is my 3 legged cat Iris doesn't think much of the bunny but she doesn't like anything else with 4 legs.

SirAsh3.jpg

Sir loves all

Latest posts

Back