Do pasteurella infections clear up on their own normally?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinupchick

Reaction score
Ula had some x-rays done a few weeks ago and they showed moderate lung cloudiness. The vet prescribed Baytril, but Ula reacted so badly to it that I stopped it after 2 days. This was about 2 weeks ago.

She went for repeat x-rays today and her lungs are totally clear. I'm guessing 2 days of antibiotics would in no way help clear a pasteurella infection, so what else might be going on?

I'm thrilled that her x-rays are normal. I'm starting to question my vet's expertise though. :expressionless

Pasteurella in rabbits is usually fatal without treatment. It is possible that since it was just slight cloudiness in the first xray that it hadn't developed too terribly and cleared up on the small dosage.

I imagine since you were getting xrays that the rabbit what actually showing respiratory problems, so a messed up xray isn't likely.

Did you change anything else about Ula's routine? Diet/treats, where she lives, what you do with/around her, etc. It's possible any other change might have helped her recover.

If it was a respiratory infection, it was asymptomatic. She had x-rays done because she was scheduled to get a molar trim and the vet wanted to make sure she was a safe anaesthesia candidate. The vet said the cloudiness was "moderate".

This actually happened last year too -- molar trim scheduled, x-ray showed cloudiness, she went on septra and the repeat x-rays were clear.

Are there any non-infectious causes of lung congestion? Allergies or something?

Allergies are very rare in rabbits. She she was asymptomatic, I would bet that the cloudiness could actually be poor xrays.

Did you get to see the xrays yourself? It's kinda starting to sound like your vet is trying to pull the wool over your eyes at this point. You might want to switch vets...and maybe have the other vet take a look at the old xrays to see if s/he agrees with the previous diagnoses.

I did see them. I'm not very skilled in reading radiographs, but they pointed out cloudy spots in the lungs, which contrasted her more recent x-ray that had no fuzziness or white spots in the lungs.

I'm thinking of switching vets though. There's apparently a more skilled small animal and exotics vet in my city...I was only staying with my current vet because of proximity.

Ula seems fine now though anyway. Eating, pooping, urine are all normal. She sneezes occasionally, but only in one area of the house that is really dusty. =/ No nasal discharge or runny eyes.

Pasturela usually doesn't clear up on its own. I got a bunny 2 months ago, and she's been sick since I got her. We think pasturella's the culprit. After almost 20 days on Baytril, it still didn't cure it, so I kinda doubt 2 days would've done it. Maybe it was some sort of a cold/virus. They aren't as common, but rabbit's can get them.
Glad that she's doing well now! :)

Back