Do not have a bunny but thinking of getting one. I have questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horselvrkc

Reaction score
Hi ppl. ido not have a bunny but i do really want one. some questions:

1. Are they messy?

2. are they easy to leash and litter train?

3. What do they eat and how much?

4. I saw some bunnies at a petstore, and they were soo cute, and they were so scaared of me! if i got one of those, would they be easy to get used to human contact and be easy to pick up?

5. Rate a bunny on a scale of 1-10. 10 being best pet ever!

Oh also do you think i should get a bunny from a rescue or pet store?

Hi I answered on your other one, but I have done both petstore and shelter, and now that I volunteer at a shelter, I'd only ever do that, because I see them.

Some people are super against buying them at petstores, but the way I see it, those buns are already living in bad conditions and need rescuing too. Plus a lot of people buy them without knowing about them and end up taking them to the Humane Society or a shelter anyway...

But still, I just feel so bad every week when I walk in the shelter and see 130 bunnies in cages.

Well. Bunnies are messy. It just depends on the rabbit personally. They're not an animal that you would be able to spend very little time with a day, because they do need time outside of their cage for at LEAST three hours a day.

Leashes are for the most part, very dangerous for buns because they can get easily tangled. You would defintally not be able to take one for a walk, because they're not that well behaved. One of my buns is perfectly fine on a harness and doesn't even seem to notice she's on it, and my other one won't fight against it, but would defintally rather not have a harness on. Littertraining can be difficult, and take weeks, and it may not even work. Or it could take days. It really depends on the rabbit.

Rabbits need pellets, veggies, as well as lots and lots of hay. Sadly one of my buns can't eat veggies because of digestive problems, but she eats dried fruits. My other bun is such a picky eater and won't eat lettuce. It depends on the size of the rabbit on how much food they get.

Generally rabbits do not like to be picked up. But it varies from rabbit to rabbit. It might be possible that your rabbit would let you pick it up, but you have to be willing to accept a rabbit into your home for 10 years, if not more, even if your rabbit doesn't have the personalitily that you would prefer.

I think that rabbits are like 9.9 on a scale of 1-10. They lost the tenth of a point on their messiness. :)

If you have the oppurtunity, I would say from a rescue. But that's just my opinion.

I have two buns, and I love them so very much, but only because I understand the responsibility that comes along with them.

1. Are they messy?
Yes. Im not going to lie. Mine are very messy.
Fairly. Mine are neither, because im trying to littertrain them now, and their have been too many injuries revolving harness' that I no longer put Phinn in one.
Mine eat about 1/2 a cup of pellets together each day, and they each eat about 1-2 cups of greens throughout the night, oh and they must have unlimited hay.
4. I saw some bunnies at a petstore, and they were soo cute, and they were so scaared of me! if i got one of those, would they be easy to get used to human contact and be easy to pick up?
They will most likely get used to being pet, but some hate being picked up.
Defnietly 10. I think of mine as children, they are the best thing thats ever happened to me.
Defneitly a resuce. I have one from both. But when I learned how many are being put to sleep in rescues each day, I vowed to get all my next rabbits from rescues.

Oh, I just wanted to add, rabbits are NOT easy. They are high maintenance, expensive, and need tuns of room. BUT, if you provide them with everything they need and more, they are incredibly rewarding.

horselvrkc wrote:

1. Are they messy? They can be, it depends on the individual bunny. Some like to trash their surroundings and go to thetoilet everywhere, others are meticulous at pooping in the right spot and never mess anything up. Just beprepared if your bun is messy to do a lot of cleaning.;)

2. are they easy to leash and litter train? A neutered bun is fairly easy to litter train. I would say be careful is putting your bun on a leash though, if they panic they can hurt themselves.

3. What do they eat and how much? It depends on the size of the rabbit how much they eat, but they need to eat good quality pellets (not mix), a mix of different greens, veggies and herbs everyday and unlimited good quality hay.

4. I saw some bunnies at a petstore, and they were soo cute, and they were so scaared of me! if i got one of those, would they be easy to get used to human contact and be easy to pick up? It totally depends on the bun to be honest, personally I would go to a reputable breeder or a rescue and ask about friendly buns there. A rescue would probably be the best as you can find adult buns whose personalities will stay the same (some young rabbits change as they hit the 'terrible teens'.)

5. Rate a bunny on a scale of 1-10. 10 being best pet ever! 9 - one point off as they are quite delicate, can get ill a lot and need a lot of care.

Oh also do you think i should get a bunny from a rescue or pet store? Rescue or breeder preferably.:)
I would also recommend reading a lot from the Lagomorph Librarypart of the forum, it has a lot of articles and information on all aspects of rabbit care.

Hello :)

1. Are they messy?

Generally no. Generally, bunnies like to be clean and have natural instincts which enable them to be litter trained. Them being smelly will depend on how often you clean the cage. Sometimes, you will get the occasional bunny that will love to dig and may dig in his litterbox. This can be easily fixed by putting a grid over the litter, or even getting a closed litter box.

For the leash: it will depend on the bun. I don't have a problem with my 3 but I am pretty confident so they know I will win in the end. If they feel you hesitating, they will give you a hard time. You need to be extra careful when using a leash however. The best is to use a safe playpen for them to run in when outside.

Litter training: Honestly, I personally never had a problem with this. There are many useful tricks and we can walk you through it. You need to understand though that bunnies are territorial and may occasionally mark their territory by peeing or pooping. Spaying/Neutering will help with this and it is REALLY important to have done, especially in a female!

Bunnies need unlimited timothy hay at all times. Alfalfa can be given as a treat. However, if you get a baby, you can give alfalfa as the main food until they reach the adult age. Along with hay, they will need pellets. Avoid the fancy seed mixes. Fresh greens and occasionally some fruit as treats are important also. They have a list here with what is safe and what is not.

Ok, this is one thing people need to understand: most bunnies do not like to be picked up. I can pick both Wiggles (she's a big baby and will sleep in my arms) and Dahlia up without a problem but my Bam-Bam does not like it. You need to be willing to sit/lie down on the floor and play with them that way. Though they don't like to be picked up much, you can gain their trust and they will come to you. They are social and love to play though most people do not know. Bunnies are prey animals and therefore have instincts that make them a little more skittish until you earn their trust. It gets much easier as you gain experience. A bunny can always tell when a person is nervous and it makes them nervous. Lol. That's not a problem, you'll both learn together.

10. I absolutely adore my buns. They have sooooooooooo much personality and they are much more playful than people think. Most people think they are quiet cage animals but they are far from it. They are really funny animals and have quite the character. Most people do not realize this but rabbits are quite sensitive and once you have gained their trust, they will constantly be after you for some play time and cuddles. Each bunny is unique. They do require nearlyas much care as cats and dogs. They need time out of their cage daily, and you need to check them regularly. They need to be fed and given water each day and they need your love and affection just as much as any other pet. They sure are worth it though!!!

I definitely suggest a rescue. Especially for a first time bunny owner. Why? First of all, those bunnies are in dire need of a good home to go to and sadly, they are often disregarded because they are not babies and some have the misconception that if the bunny is at a shelter, it is because it is a bad bunny. Let me tell you one thing: I have two rescued buns and these 2 are much more affectionate andless demanding than my spoiled lil girl I have bought at the pet shop. Not that I love her any less, mind you. But, rescue buns generally appreciate the little things a lot more. My Bam-Bam is an absolute sweetheart. He is such a beautiful boy too. This poor boy was due to be euthanized and I got to him just in time. I fell in love with him at first sight. He had such sad eyes, and when I went to his cage, he tossed his toys at me so I could play with him. When I brought him home, he went crazy happy just because he could run around. It really is a rewarding sight. Also, contrary to popular belief, babies are not always as much fun. Lol. Though they are adorable, they go through that 'teen' period and your soft cuddly baby might become a bit of a monster :pSadly, most people don't understand what they are going through and that is often when they are abandoned. Obviously, there is nothing wrong with falling in love with a bunny at the pet shop either. Honestly though, I just find adopting a bun in need is so much more rewarding. I often take the one at the pet shop that is set apart, older, or not as cute because I know that they have less chance of finding a good home.

Extra Info:

Spaying/Neutering:

The most important thing to know is that your bunny will need to be spayed or neutered. Females have an extremely high risk of developping uterine cancer if they are not spayed. Spaying will also make a female less hormonal, and therefore less aggressive. Neutering a male is also a really important thing. Males usually have a tendency to spray to mark their territroy and it can get quite irritating for the owner. This will also alleviate their male frustrations and make them happier.

Playtime:

Bunnies PLAY! They looove to play. You can buy some toys but you can also find things around the house. You may find that your bun will spend hours playing with the simplest things such as paper bags or a cardboard box. They also like to toss things so you can buy them a set of hard plastic keys. They are all different though so you will need to observe your bun and then offer things s/he will enjoy. I have one who likes to toss but never digs, one who digs and chews, and one who just does everything. They usually really enjoy the time spent with their human so be prepared to sit on the floor with them and join in the fun. :p

Caging:

Contrary to popular belief, buns need lots of space to run, jump, sprawl, stretch, stand up, etc. Cages bought in a pet store are simply never big enough. Most bunny owners will strongly recommend an NIC condo which you can personalize as much as you want. We have a thread explaining this ideain detail and you can also see photos of our buns in their condos. Do not buy any pine shavings as they can cause serious health problems for your bun. Newspaper, hay, andcorn cob, are not the best because they do not absorb as much and therefore may cause the cage to be smelly and also cause burns to your bunny due to them stepping in urine often. Most of us here use compacted wood pellets, compacted newspaper pellets, or carefresh.

Anywho, bunnies make great pets for the right person. If you are willing to respect the fact that your bun is sensitive, may not like to be picked up, needs to run and play, and needs to trust you, than you will most likelymake a great bunny owner. ;)This forum is packed with info and with members and administrators who love bunnies and who do a great job at helping with concerns, emergencies, and awareness. I really hope you seriously consider taking a bunny home as they really are great pets. However, I need to warn you, once you take one home, you mightdevelop an urgeto keep getting more :p

Oh oh oh!

One thing that you really really need to consider is vet care! You need to have a vet that deals with rabbits as they are considered 'exotic' and so not every vet treats them. Spaying and neutering can cost a bit but definitely needs to be done and it is well worth it. Also, you need to understand that occasionally, your bun might require vet care and it can be costly at times due to them needing specialized care. :)

It does not differ from a cat or dog, and they do not require vaccinations but you need to take this into consideration ;)

Thank you sooo much for your info! I understand-- i have to be fully responsible and know what they need and how much care they need. THANKS ALOT!

horselvrkc wrote:
I understand-- i have to be fully responsible and know what they need and how much care they need.
:yeahthat:that is the most important part of being a pet owner! It made me smile to read that :biggrin2:I'm so glad that you are asking questions before you get a bunny, I know I should have asked a lot before I did. Welcome to the forum!

First of all I want to say, welcome to RO!!! And I hope yu find a great rabbit!!!

1. Are they messy?

I think it depends on the rabbit. They're messyer then dogs or cats, but they're worth the trouble.

I haven't ever leash trained a rabbit so I don't know, but litter train genrally isn't very hard. But once again I think it depends on the rabbit.

Rabbits eat lots of stuff (sometimes stuff you don't want them to). :pYou can get rabbit pellets at any petstore but we use Rabbit Chow Complete Feed from Purina Mills. We also use timothy. When you give a rabbit food make sure to give it ulimited amounts of hay.

4. I saw some bunnies at a petstore, and they were soo cute, and they were so scared of me! if i got one of those, would they be easy to get used to human contact and be easy to pick up?

Hmmmm.... Youcould be able to socaillize them. I don't know the rabbits so I can't say. Rabbits are social animals so it proable wouldn't be to hard to get them to like people. Most rabbits I know don't like being picked. I think it feels like a hawk or other preditor picking them up off the ground so it triggers a runny away instinct. I think if you start handleing a bunny young you might be able to get it to like to be handled. Although not all rabbits hate it. I've heard of a couple who like it, but none of the one I know do.

I'd give them a 9 1/2. As I haven't ever had every single pet there is I can't say. But I love rabbits!!!! I really cats and dogs to, but rabbits are just soooo cool, and sweet.

I hope I was some help,

-TK :)

tundrakatiebean wrote:
horselvrkc wrote:
I understand-- i have to be fully responsible and know what they need and how much care they need.
:yeahthat:that is the most important part of being a pet owner! It made me smile to read that :biggrin2:I'm so glad that you are asking questions before you get a bunny, I know I should have asked a lot before I did. Welcome to the forum!

:yes:It's great that you say that!!! So many people get animals with out doing research so they don't know anything about the animals so it ends up having a rough life. :tears2:

You'll make a great bunny parent!!!

-TK

Sorry I missed a question....

I think that you should get a bunny from a shelter. That way yousafe a life (and get a great freind).

Excellent advice from everyone soo ill just say do not buy a bunny from a petstore. most petstores have bunnys that are only 4 weeks old and should still be with the mother. its a bad situation and some of these bunnys will not survive.look in the shelter or go too a reputable breeder.if theres a particular breed you are interested in i might be able too [email protected] .i know show breeders soo i could point you in the right direction.bluebird

You've gotten lots of great advice so far...so I won't post an answer to all your questions...just want to add some comments about bunnies getting used to human contact and picking them up:

Back before I was a bunny-owner, my only real exposure to them was when I volunteered at our Humane League. I mostly worked with cats, but the bunny room was in the same building, so sometimes I would socialize with them. Most of the bunnies did not want to be picked up, but it think that the main factor in that was that I WAS NERVOUS AND INEXPERIENCED. I didn't have anyone show me how to approach or pick up a bunny, so I didn't really know what to do.

When we got our first bunny (Gingivere)I wasn't any more experienced, but I did do some research and reading (like you are doing), so I had more of a clue about how to approcach her and hold her. Still, I lacked confidence so I did not hold her a lot. That is what she got used to. So for the first years of her life I held her very little. As I became more experienced with bunnies it got easier for me. I relaxed and so did she. Now I don't have a problem picking up any of our 3 bunnies.

Another important factor is bunny personality. Gingivere is very much a dominant "queen" so she did not want to be handled. However, she has mellowed SOOOOOO much with age. Now she loves to be picked up and held. Sometimes she will run from me, but she usually does it to play. Then she settles down.

Emmaline is a very feisty doe. She runs from me and despises being picked up. She is only 2 yrs and may also mellow with age. But I think she associates being picked up with being placed in a cage...and she'd much rather be a free-range bunny.

Our male bunny (Pipkin) is quite different. He thrives on human contact. He comes running to me and wants to be by my side all the time. He loves to be picked up and is a real cuddler. One of his fave activities is snuggling in bed with me to watch a Sunday afternoon movie.

So, there are many factors at work: your confidence, bunny personality, and time spent with bunny (the more time with them the more trust they place in you when it comes to handling). Just be patient and love the bunny for whatever it's personality is and things should work out great.

Oh, and I'd say bunnies are a 10+ as companions. Sure they cost money, but so do all pets...

Hope you find the right bunny for you!

-Mary Ellen

Latest posts

Back