Do bunnies need a salt lick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alley, I got my buns a salt lick about 4 monthsago and they have NEVER touched it. I have heard severalmembers here say it is not necessary. Also heard that thesesalt licks can corrode your cage bars. I give my buns celeryregularly to get some salt in them...

Hugs! Shorty, Star & Krick

[align=center]My mom is one of those people thatreads something and automatically assumes its the gods honest truth andwe have to live by it.So when I first got my rabbits lastyear... she bought a bunch of the little spools. I just kindawired them up in a few cages.. and some ofthe others, it was reallyinconvenient to wire it, so i just sat it in the cage. Sincethen, on one of my cages, its about 18 x 18 x 22 or so with a removabletray.. you know the kind... it has caused the wire to rust abit. not to the point where the strength is reduced, it justlooks bad.[/align]
[align=center]~*Chia*Pet*n*Reese*~[/align]

As Buck would say.......

"Have had some buns who liked them, most didn't. The saltwill adsorb moisture and often "wick it" into areas you may not want itin, causing staining and/or corrosion. Most pelleted foodsprovide enough salt and minerals for most buns. Unnecessaryaddition, for the most part."

Buck

Don't feel bad! I don't think saltlicks can hurt, because it'll just get them drinking more. Ihave a salt lick hung up on one of those bunny kabob things, and theydon't really touch it. In fact, my buns hardly touch any oftheir toys. Instead they throw their litter pan and hay binsaround. :disgust:

Back