Do bunnies have constipation?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaS

Reaction score
Chernish spend the entire evening last night inhis litter box. First he just sat, then he was lying there, then he wasdigging. But for about 4 hours, he was just in it.
Does it mean anything?

Hi AnnaS,

Sometimes they like to just sit in there. Don't quiteunderstand it myself, but some rabbits enjoy it. Did it looklike he was trying to go, but straining?

A bunny should not have constipation. Their systems mustremain moving, so if they don't go to the bathroom, that's aproblem.

-Carolyn

Hi AnnaS,

My first question would be...is he eating/drinking/pooping? If not, it might be vet time.

When we first tried to litter train Benji, he used his litter box as his new lounging place. He'd spend most of his time there.

Jim

As long as he's pooping, it's ok. Botends to sit in his litterbox when he's drinking from hiswaterbottle..... not all the time, but sometimes. I thinkit's a lazy thing with him..... drink, go to the corner and pee, drink,go to the other side and poo, drink some more.....

He is pooping and eating, but I don't think he is pooping as much as before. I was giving him pineapple.
Maybe I am just imagining this.

AnnaS wrote:
He ispooping and eating, but I don't think he is pooping as much as before.I was giving him pineapple.

Keep the litterbox clean so that you're able to monitor thestools. If they're smaller and darker incolor,he'll need your help to treat him.

Does the urine seem to be a darker color?

-Carolyn

He is eating hay. I think he finished molting, his fur is so nice now.
He just seems to have a little less poops.

Carolyn wrote:
AnnaS wrote:
He is pooping andeating, but I don't think he is pooping as much as before. I was givinghim pineapple.

Keep the litterbox clean so that you're able to monitor the stools. Ifthey're smaller and darker in color, he'll need your help to treat him.

Does the urine seem to be a darker color?

-Carolyn

Urine look the same, I use pine shaving, so its hard to see. They are alittle smaller and there are a little less of them, but still enough Iguess. Besides pineapple is there anything else I can give him just forprecautions?

Give him some canned pumpkin. (It hasto be canned because the processing is what helps clean themout.) You might give him a bit of Nutri Cal aswell. About an inch - as it comes in a tube much liketoothpaste. You could also give him a papaya tablet or adried papaya - both of which can be purchased at a grocery store.

Even if it's not a problem, it won't hurt him to give him the NutriCaland canned pumpkin. If he's pooping and eating and drinking,that's all good signs. Keep an eye on the size of hisstools. If they get smaller, he could be having some trouble.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Where do they usually sell Nutri Cal? I asked at a pet store, they said they never heard of it.

Thank you for your help:)

AnnaS wrote:
Wheredo they usually sell Nutri Cal? I asked at a pet store, they said theynever heard of it.

Thank you for your help:)

I'm sorry, AnnaS. I think they took it off the shelves in Canada. :(

You may be able to get it online.

-Carolyn

PetSmart sells Nutri-Stat for dogs andcats...same thing as Nutri-Cal, only re boxed and relabeled, for lessexpensive price, if PetSmarts are available in Canada.

Pineapple does no good, unless it is FRESH Pineapple, whereas thepumpkin Carolyn suggested has to CANNED...just to make sure the issuesdon't get confused. Fresh pineapple is difficult to come byin small quantities, unless your local food markets have the serveyourself salad bars with fresh fruits included. That'sperfect, because you get fresh pineapple in just the amount you needfor any given period of time without the chore of "coring and cleaning"a whole pineapple.

Keep an eye on the size and consistency of those poops to insure the little darling is okay.

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
PetSmart sells Nutri-Stat for dogs and cats...same thing asNutri-Cal, only re boxed and relabeled, for less expensive price, ifPetSmarts are available in Canada.

Pineapple does no good, unless it is FRESH Pineapple, whereas thepumpkin Carolyn suggested has to CANNED...just to make sure the issuesdon't get confused. Fresh pineapple is difficult to come by in smallquantities, unless your local food markets have the serve yourselfsalad bars with fresh fruits included. That's perfect, because you getfresh pineapple in just the amount you need for any given period oftime without the chore of "coring and cleaning" a whole pineapple.

Keep an eye on the size and consistency of those poops to insure the little darling is okay.

Buck

Oh I think they mentioned Nutri-Stat or Nutri something. Thanks, I'll look for it.
I give him fresh pineapple. I usually buy already pilled one and share it with a bunny, so it does not get wasted.

I'll definitely get some canned pumpkin.

Thanks everybody for your help.:)

Buck Jones wrote:
PetSmart sells Nutri-Stat for dogs and cats...same thing asNutri-Cal, only re boxed and relabeled, for less expensive price, ifPetSmarts are available in Canada.

Pineapple does no good, unless it is FRESH Pineapple, whereas thepumpkin Carolyn suggested has to CANNED...just to make sure the issuesdon't get confused. Fresh pineapple is difficult to come byin small quantities, unless your local food markets have the serveyourself salad bars with fresh fruits included. That'sperfect, because you get fresh pineapple in just the amount you needfor any given period of time without the chore of "coring and cleaning"a whole pineapple.

Buck
I was told canned or dried pineapple worked fine?!?! what about papaya? does it need to be fresh also?

Bo's had little and darker poos this week..... oh dear :(

Buck Jones wrote:

Buck
one out local stores selld pineapple already cored,:D

Back