DIY Toys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandomWiktor

Critter Keeper
Reaction score
I thought this might be a fun and useful topic, especially in light of the economy if you live in the states. Rabbits obviously need toys, but toys are often expensive. Making your own toys is often much cheaper, and it's a fun, creative way to kill time. So, post your DIY toy pics and tell us a little about construction - ie. what parts you used - and how your bunnies reacted.

Here's a few of mine:
toy3.jpg

I made these today as part of an attempt to provide more enrichment for my buns. The one on the left is made of popsicle sticks, wooden craft pieces, and fleece, with a little SS bell on the bottom. It's strung together with hemp. The one on the right is made of coin rolls stuffed with shredded paper, with a wooden balsa wood circle in the middle, and woven wicker on the bottom. ((All colors are non-toxic colorant))

toy2.jpg

This is a Kabob toy. While you do need to buy the kabob, you can add toy parts to it constantly, making it a perpetually changing, reusable toy. This one has wooden pieces, wicker balls, finger traps, and a piece of loofa.

toy1.jpg

This was actually a Christmas present to my rabbits. It is made of wicker balls, balsa wood, chinese finger trap, and fleece. The cord is sissal, which is supposed to be rabbit safe, but I later replaced it with hemp because I didn't like the fine hair-like pieces that come off of it as it frays.

This was a big hit with the bunnies:
brinnytoy.jpg

one day,we could not help but notice,the corn broom was modified,,the next day it was even shorter,,our rabbit liked it better than the hay bin,,but we have found that a newspaper,or phone book,,toilet paper inner roll(stuffed with timothy hay)-works pretty good,,fruit tree branches/twigs,,i like things which stimulate chewing--try to to keep those 28 teeth,busy and short,,and gitract happy,..you do have to be careful of some thin plastic things as you would for a child..they can become hazzards...sincerely james waller

i tried out stuffing toilet roll inners with meadow hay and my three had a great time playing and eating !!

great thread!!

We went to the nature center at the park today and their bunny had a cat ball with a bell. Anyone else have a bunny who plays with those? thinking of getting one for Belldandy. Any recommendations?

i have bunny balls for my lot, and they do enjoy playing and throwing them around !!

Here's something I'm working on:

Novel Scent Stimulus Toy

Materials:
- 1 short length of PVC pipe
- Two PVC end caps
- Fabric for sewing OR a small fabric pouch
- Power drill
- Stuff for your bunny to smell!

- Drill several small holes all over the PVC pipe. Make sure they are SMALL; no larger than a standard screw or nail's diameter. These holes are how your rabbit will smell what's inside, but they musn't be big enough for your bunny to grab the pouch inside!
- Cap one end of the PVC securely
- Choose a small item with a smell your rabbit wouldn't normally encounter. Some suggestions would be an animal smell, an outdoor smell, or a food smell. Do not use smells that may cause irritation of the eyes and nose (ie. aromatic oils). Note that while predator smells can be enriching, they can also create anxiety, so monitor your rabbit carefully with such smells.
- Put the item in your pouch and secure shut, then insert in the PVC pipe. Cap the other end.
- Throw it in the enclosure and watch the fun start! Your rabbit will enjoy investigating the smell and rolling the PVC pipe around. You can change the smell as often as you'd like to create a constant source of sensory stimulation.

Smell tube great idea RandomWiktor

Is there a list of Aromatic oils/smells which could cause irritation?

I think a good way to tell a definite "no" for a scent is if it bothers YOUR nose or eyes to smell it, because if it does, it is definitely much too powerful for something as sensitive as a rabbit. I suggest avoiding odor concentrates like aromatic oils unless it is just a tiny drop of some kind of floral extract. Rather, using actual items - dried leaves, some feathers from a pet bird, a piece of dried fruit, grass clippings - puts off enough detectable odor for the rabbit to smell without a risk of it really bothering bunny's nose.

Also: forgot to mention. This toy can be enhanced by putting something that rattles or a bell in it so that it also makes noise when being rolled about.

It's really just an oversized toilet roll, but I discovered that a wrapping paper tube is even better! I found it amusing to put some hay or a few pellets into the cardboard tube, with a hole cut out in the middle.

my bunnies sort of toss it around but it is bigger than them so they sometimes lose their balance once they get it up in the air... a middle sized tube would also be fun, like after you finish the cling wrap or something like that.

Latest posts

Back