DIY Toys or Shop bought toys?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billie007

Billie007
Reaction score
I've noticed that my rabbit doesn't seem to keen on some of the toys I got him from various pet shops.

He has a rope with wooden ends that he's supposed to chew and a ball he should toss, but he doesn't, he just ignores them as well as other types of toys.

Though he does like his tent and tunnel haha.

Can anyone give me any ideas of some good home made toys I can try?

My buns love phone books, boxes, paper towel or toilet paper rolls, etc.

I like to take small cardboard boxes and put some hay and a few treats/ pellets inside for them to work at.

Their current favorite store-bought toy is this treat dispenser made for cats. I put a few of their pellets in it and they go to work.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bM8w--CECg[/ame]

I also took this costco-sized cereal box (2 bags of cereal in one box) and put some packing paper and a few pellets in it so they would work to get the pellets out.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmgVbeKFMIY[/ame]

Great ideas, Missyscove! I found the treat dispenser at Amazon.com & will be ordering one for my buns! Its an "add-on" item & its under $5 with a $25 order. I think my girls will like it!

My buns like the grass balls they sell for bunnies in the pet shops. I also have a plastic ball I bought through one of the companies I buy stuff for my birds which is a favorite. Boxes with anything to explore/pull out or hide in is a hit with my girls too. They used to like those pet store rabbit carrot toys to throw but quickly got bored with those. Cardboard tubes with hay inside is a hit with my girls. Missyscove covered most everything I can think of mine like. Great list Missyscove! Thanks for the treat dispenser idea!

We started with a simpler one intended for dogs, but I think it was too easy for them (at least with pellets which are so small that they easily fell out of the hole). This one is counterweighted so they actually have to knock it around. I like to make eating more of a challenge and give them something to do rather than just dumping their pellets in their bowl.

Just ordered the treat dispenser! Can't wait to see how they like it! Thanks, Missyscove!

For what it's worth, my roommate also bought one for her cats and they also like it.

We found them at Target but I don't know if they're there anymore

I have one of those for my cat, but we haven't been using it for her treats. I'll have to find it and give it to my boys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

I bought one of those eggs for Gus a few years back and he played with it every day for nearly a year before he got tired of it. Definitely a good investment! :)

I haven't found too many other store bought toys that interest him, though. I've got a few cat tinkle balls and a baby toy in his cage, but mostly he just dumps those in his water dish when he's mad about being left in his cage all day. :p

For homemade, nothing beats a paper bag, newspaper, cardboard box, paper towel tube, etc. for destroying and making a big mess. Just pop one onto his mat and he'll go to work for hours.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Just a thought on those toys he doesn't seem to like; he may not be at the moment but that could change. All of the store bought toys I got for Sophie she didn't touch them at first. In fact, it took her a few months before she developed an interest in them. So hang on to them and you might be surprised:)

I like to take paper towel roles and stuff then full of Timothy hay. Or one of my rabbits loves to make noise so I put rice in a plastic coke bottle removing the tape of course and giving it to him. My baby bunnies a simply fascinated at small boxes to run through or sit on. Some of my rabbits favorite store bought toys are rice pops, wicker balls, grass mats, and tunnels! Hope I helped!

Sent from my iPod touch using Rabbit Forum

Legit, get a nice box without staples, cut open a hole big enough for your bun(s) to squeeze through, and let them go at it. My bunnies will dig out the bottom and make brand new doors and windows, and then I flip it over onto it's top so they can do it all over again. Doubles as a shelter. I had given them a kennel to start with, but soon they never used it in favour of the box.

My Hopper doesn't like her toy carrot but she loves this wooden fruit thing that she can easily grab and toss, one of her favorite toys is an empty toilet paper rolled filled with hay, she will roll it chase it pick it up and move it, and she will jump over it, then she will try and eat all of the hay out of it

My lokki goes absolutely bonkers for paper bags. I put hay in them and sprinkle treats and pellets and shake it up. I fold down the sides so the bag opening takes shape. Keeps him entertained for hours. He's come back to it during the day too to see if he missed anything lol

You may train a bunny to do tricks, but a bunny teaches you patience and the fragile beauty of silence.

my netherland male has a small stuffed dog toy that he sleeps with and carries with him where ever he goes. its his security

Latest posts

Back