Distended belly after pregnancy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graciea

Reaction score
My Bunny is just under one year old and 9 days ago had her first litter of 4 kits. She's been a perfect mum, cleaned them all, made her nest and feeding regularly. I'm worried though as her belly is quite hard/distended, I'm not so concerned about bloat as she is happy, running around, her appetite and water intake is good and she is going to the bathroom (some softish stools but not all of them.. but I did initially up her pellet intake to assist with lactation, have reduced it a few days ago). There was quite a lot of gurgling about four nights ago but none now, she does not seem tender on palpation but my main concern is that she may have a retained kit and this is causing her belly to react? Please help, she is very loved and we are so concerned but unsure if a vet trip is warranted due to her seemingly healthy attitude otherwise.

If she has a retained fetus and it isn't expelled it can cause her to go sterile. The vet could do an X-ray to see if that's the problem.

Yep, vet. Rabbits are fragile, so when in doubt you have to go quickly : waiting is only asking for trouble.

Back