Disinfecting trays/cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcohen1982

Reaction score
Ok, I am going to be disinfecting my trays....I usually use straight bleach, let it sit for 15 minutes then scrub it down, but I was thinking about using clorox anywhere spray for the in between cleanings. Does anyone know what would be the safe bleach to water so that I can make it myself instead of buying it everytime?

Rachel

Vinegar!!!!!!!and water. It's the best and gets rid of that bunny odor .It works really well on wood, but it works fine for me for mytrays. Do youhavemetal or plastic trays?I wouldn't advise using a household cleaning product

60- vinegar- 40 water. If you're feeling lucky 75 vinegar . I just let it sit for a bit then I scrub and rinse. It can also be used to get stains out of coats(along with cornstarch) Gotta love the vinegar

I use Bleach, but I'm going to start using and vinegar since I've heard a lot of good things about it.

SNM - Using bleach is fine as long as the cages are wll rinsed afterwards. Bleach kills germs, vinegar doesn't.

Emily

As long as you are keeping up with the cleaning do you really NEED to bleach everything to kill every germ? I use bleach in my bathtub after the turtles have soaked to avaoid spreading salmonella to the family. Other than that I use vinegar for cleaning the animal houses.

MiniLopHop wrote:
As long as you are keeping up with the cleaning do you really NEED to bleach everything to kill every germ? I use bleach in my bathtub after the turtles have soaked to avaoid spreading salmonella to the family. Other than that I use vinegar for cleaning the animal houses.
Disinfecting is absolutely neccessary, not just standard cleaning. You NEED to kill all the bacteria, every time, because rabbit feces and urine can harbor MANY deadly and contagious pathogens. Things like vinegar, soap, and water will only remove the odor and any "physical" debris. Bleach will only get rid of bacteria, while disinfectants such as Vanodine and Quat will remove not only all of the above but viruses and fungi as well (which are also commonly found in rabbit trays)

You can get vanodine from bunnyrabbit.com. I think it's rare because they can't ship it out or something .when I said household cleaning product I was thinking/talking about that clorox spray or scrub n bubbles you put on your kitchen countertops.

If the rabbit is litter trained should you use the bleach just on the litter box or the whole floor? Obviously I'm not going to bleach my carpets, so how do you disinfect them? Lysol?

whaleyk98 wrote:
where can I get vanodine cause I cant find it anywhere?
Unfortunately right now, Vanodine is extremely hard to get as the EPA license has expired to import it and it's quite costly to renew it. But Quats work just as well and are much easier to get. You can order it directly from the company that makes it-Buckeye.

maxysmummy wrote:
wow is it really necessary to bleach??? i just clean my litter trays out with vinear every so often.... eeek
Yes. Pick a time like every 2 weeks.... or something like that. Disinfect everything. We do it every week and then when we bring a new bunny home we quarantine and disinfect. But be careful..my little sister gave me a chemical burn splashing around bleach. For litter boxes.. I clean them every 3-4 weeks because I have a problem with my buns ceasing to use the litter box after I disinfect them

That's too bad about the Vanodine. It's really cheap and a bottle lasts forever. I guess when mine is gone, I'm out of luck! It's awesome stuff.

Latest posts

Back