Discovered a small issue!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susansheila

Reaction score
Delilah has taken to sitting on my daughter's tummy and nipping her tummy. She has not broke the skin but this hurts. My daughter does that high pitched yell to scare her but it doesn't work. She puts her off and Delilah goes back a couple of times to do it again. Anyone know what this means?
Thanks

She may be telling your daughter off for stopping stroking her, not stroking her when she wants it or being in the way. If it's not aggressive (I'm going to rip you to pieces) biting then she's probably just trying to communicate. Some rabbits nudge others use a bit more teeth. You could try a slapping your hand on the ground to make a thumbing sound, squirt from a water spray or putting a towel or thick clothing between your daughter and the teeth.

Spaying may help, it can sometimes make rabbits a bit less stroppy.

Tam

Thanks for your help guys. It might be her looking for attention because at the time my daughter is not patting her, just sitting there. But when we move her away she comes back and tries to nip again.

I'll try the stomping and pick up a spray bottle.

Don't know if this will help you but this is from the web site of Sweet Binks Rabbit Rescue in Foster, RI. A fantastic rescue operation.

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1]Rabbits need specialized veterinary care and many veterinarians are not well trained or up-to-date in rabbit medicine and health. If you need (after hours) emergency veterinary assistance, we recommend going to [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1]Angell Memorial[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1] or [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1]Tufts University[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1] in MA for emergency rabbit treatment. Listed below are the veterinarians that we recommend and have experience with:[/size][/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1] Dr. Daniel Cardosa & Dr. Sharon Chang - Big River Vet Clinic, West Greenwich, RI (401)397-8777
Dr. Dan Simpson - West Bay Animal Hospital,Warwick,RI 401-828-5767
Dr. Susanne Saslaw - Ferguson Animal Hospital, N. Prov RI (401) 353-3352
Dr. Henry Wietsma - North Kingstown, RI (401) 295-9739
Dr. David Lambert - Quinebaug Valley Vet Hospital, Danielson, CT. (860) 774-7650
Dr. Deb Gherke - Pet Partners, Fall River, MA (508)672-4813 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-2](spay/neuter clinic only)[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1]
Dr. Ken Abrams, Veterinary Ophthalmologist, Warwick, RI 401-738-7337[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-2] [/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-2](ophthalmology only)
[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1] How to [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1]find[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1] a good rabbit vet in a different area. [/size][/font]

I don't know if I would so the slapping the hand or stomping. That is more of an aggressive type behavior and you might not get the desired result. The spray bottle represents a dominant behavior in the wild. It simulates the spraying of urine in a "pecking order" dispute. My money is on the hormonal issue and she is just coming of age...usually happens sometimes around 6 months in the girls. We see that behavior all the time. If not dealt with, it usually gets worse. We have noticed that the girls are more aggressive to human females than males as I rarely have to deal with nipping girls. We have had several and the behavior stopped every time after a spay. Another consideration...studies have shown that high numbers of unspayed females develop uterine cancer. They also experience very stressful false pregnancies. And I would plan on an average of $300 for a spay. You might want to ask for a detailed quote as most estimates assume you know nothing about a rabbit and include fees for force feeding, overnight (extended stay) charges and all sorts of stuff you can easily do at home. Those fees add quite a bit to the charges but again, the estimate assumes you know nothing. Ask for a detailed estimate and see exactly what the charges are. Many also include extensive blood panels. In such a young rabbit, those tests are probably unnecessary and just an added expense. In an older rabbit or one that is experiencing other issues, it would be apporpriate. I think a close look at a detailed estimate may show things you can do yourself and trim the costs of this beneficial procedure.

Randy

Latest posts

Back