Discouraged.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoofbeats23

Reaction score
I'm so discouraged right now. Hazel my first bunny who use to be SOOO healthy has been sick on and off again since december, first he had gi stasis. Then runny eye, now off again on again sneezes. Everytime I take him to my (bunny savvy) vet, he says to turn on my vaporizer for him b/c he has no fever and his lungs sound clear, eating pooping well etc... like it's just no big deal. ofcourse I don't want to have to give him antiobiotics if I don't have to either but.....

Next the very unhealthy bunny I took in 3 months ago who was overweight and on a very bad diet, is now eating a good diet but still not EATING his cecals!!!!!! And he had absesses! And now they are getting smushed into Hazel and his Hocks, so they are raw, and I hate that. I know it's stressful to treat also, b/c I'm all scratched up.

Sorry to vent so much, can anybody offer insight into any of my problems. I feel like I'm a bunny doctor 24/7, constantly nursing and treating. Why aren't my bunnies healthy?????? They have a huge condo, plenty of time free run in the kitchen and a pretty good bunny life. Also Cadberry refuses to go potty in the litter box (he is neutered, they both are)

Help! At wit's end!!!!!! Frustrated and discouraged.

Thanks!

sorry! forgot the extra info!

Hazel- 2 and 1/2 year old light grey/white dwarf-type bun, 3 lbs.

Cadberry- 2 year old dark grey/blue-ish dwarf type bun, 3 bls.

Both are neutered, they are bonded, and share a big bun condo.

The link actually asks for a lot more info than just what's in the title.

hoofbeats23 wrote:
Hazel my first bunny who use to be SOOO healthy has been sick on and off again since december, first he had gi stasis. Then runny eye, now off again on again sneezes. Everytime I take him to my (bunny savvy) vet, he says to turn on my vaporizer for him b/c he has no fever and his lungs sound clear, eating pooping well etc... like it's just no big deal. ofcourse I don't want to have to give him antiobiotics if I don't have to either but.....

First off, what indicates this vet is rabbit-savvy? This treatment doesn't fit the bill. Mind you, my first vet, who is considered the top guy in this part of the city, also didn't diagnose my dwarf's molar spurs.

Did he do blood tests? X-rays? Or just take his temperature?

Everything you mention here is a symptom, not a cause. When the immune system gets run down, it sets off other problems. I'll wait for more answers to the questions asked in the linked post, but my first thought is a dental issue.

He could also have an abscess, sinusitis or a URI I think without running a fever. And a rabbit's 'normal' temperature seems to vary a lot, so not sure if he can spot an infection. My vet usually does immediately prescribe antibiotics because it stands a chance of clearing up a mild problem within a few days and that is a diagnosis and a cure wrapped up in a bow.

One question in the linked form that interests me is his eating habits. What is his diet? Is there any food he used to eat but no longer does? Does he drop any food? Any dampness around his mouth? Odd mouth movements?

sas :?

I don't know which rabbit is which.

Really would be helpful to read that post and fill in the info, saves us from having to retype the questions.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized the new version of the form isn't there!

EDIT AGAIN! I see the reference to Hazel! (I'm a sieve tonight!)

If you can detail the diet (for both bunnies) and answer the questions about chewing, etc, for Hazel, that will help!

sas :)

Hazel is the one with the off and on again sneezes/runny eye. Cadberry is the one not eating his cecals. The vet came recommended from other rabbit folks. He took temp and listened to lungs. Do you think I should try another vet? Also during their checkup the vet said Cadberry's teeth were on the cusp of being bad, but not bad yet and to give more of a variety of hay ( i use to only feed timothy) both buns get a variety of tim, grass, botanical and oat hay (free choice all the time) and each get 1/4 cup oxboy tim pellets per day. with a treat (one little carrot chip) per day. Both have excellent appetites, no food dropping, I would recognize that as a problem(I'm semi-familiar with teeth issues, since I'm a horse person) Both have good poops (except cadberry not eating his cecals!) I really appreciate you guys, I'm just so sad and I feel like the worst bunny-mom in the world. I just want these two buns to be healthy!!

also, I even did a probio-regimen for cadberry to see if that would help the cecal issue, no change.

He does seem to run his teeth back and forth sometimes??? could this be an issue?kind of a soft grinding, it doesn't look distressing though..... I don't think... (p.s. these are my first buns ever so .... take that into consideration...)

hoofbeats23 wrote:
Hazel is the one with the off and on again sneezes/runny eye. Cadberry is the one not eating his cecals. The vet came recommended from other rabbit folks. He took temp and listened to lungs. Do you think I should try another vet? Also during their checkup the vet said Cadberry's teeth were on the cusp of being bad, but not bad yet and to give more of a variety of hay ( i use to only feed timothy) both buns get a variety of tim, grass, botanical and oat hay (free choice all the time) and each get 1/4 cup oxboy tim pellets per day. with a treat (one little carrot chip) per day. Both have excellent appetites, no food dropping, I would recognize that as a problem (I'm semi-familiar with teeth issues, since I'm a horse person) Both have good poops (except cadberry not eating his cecals!) I really appreciate you guys, I'm just so sad and I feel like the worst bunny-mom in the world. I just want these two buns to be healthy!!

also, I even did a probio-regimen for cadberry to see if that would help the cecal issue, no change.

He does seem to run his teeth back and forth sometimes??? could this be an issue?kind of a soft grinding, it doesn't look distressing though..... I don't think... (p.s. these are my first buns ever so .... take that into consideration...)

Sounds like you're taking great care of them, the diet is great and and the Vet is probably okay.

And trust me, I have most of the same problems you do. You're not doing anything wrong. :)

Hazel's sneezes and runny eye could be a tooth root issue. The Vet would have to take x-rays to diagnose that one. Its easy to miss. But I see a lot of rabbits with intermittent runny eyes and noses, and sometimes there really doesn't seem to be a diagnoses and it really isn't that big of a deal. Maybe it's the tooth root aggravating the nose and eye, but you really only have to keep a very close eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected.

The best dental treatment is what the vet suggested -- a wide variety of hays and grasses and other plant matter. Willow, apple and pear tree twigs are great (pesticide free), carrot top stems, etc. all help.

But sometimes I like to do a round of antibiotics just to make sure.

You can also experiment with antibiotic eye ointment, although so many of them don't seem to work, sometimes its takes two or three brands to find the right one.

As for Cadbury, I'd like to see a pic to see how overweight he is. It can take months on a good diet before the effects kick in and he loses enough weight to eat is cecals and ease up the pressure on his hocks.

Where were his abscesses?

I'd also cut back on pellets to just a couple of tablespoons, and try different brands, and even a mix. A lot of it is just going to be experimenting with diet. I'd suggest keeping a journal to keep track of his cecal output after each type of food.

You also should get him tested for parasites and/or ask the Vet about a de-wormer.

He also needs a LOT of exercise. What is the cage/pen set up like? Can he jump up on shelves or boxes? Just being able to hop in a straight line isn't really sufficient.

How bad are the sore hocks? Are they bleeding and infected or just looking bald and a little angry? I gave up trying to treat Mister's sore hocks (my overweight mini-rex), nothing worked but they didn't get any worse. I finally got rid of them by putting down a rock-covered mat over his carpet -- oddly enough! He likes the rocks way better than the plush carpet and his hocks cleared up in days. Seeing as rock mats aren't that easy to find, I'll suggest grass mats as an alternative if you're not already using them.

Are the two bunnies bonded? Most of the time the litterbox issue is territorial. A lot of vinegar will help eliminate the smell -- they always remark territory that was marked before. If I wash my place down with vinegar and water before the buns run around, the marking in minimal -- I put litter boxes, trays or paper down in their favorite spots, so I guess I'm the one who's litter trained -- but if I let somebunny run on area that was cleaned but not washed with vinegar, it gets waaay messier.

It also takes rabbits months to get used to their territory, so three months isn't that unusual for him to still be marking a lot. It does get better.

But again, you're a VERY good bunny guardian, and it doesn't sound like they're terribly unhealthy. Most of these things could just be niggling chronic ailments that can be well managed with time and observation.

PS: The teeth grinding is probably the rabbit version of happy purring, but it could be he's feeling his molar spurs. Just watch for loss of appetite or changes in habits.

sas :bunnydance:

Thanks so much for putting me at ease! I was just down treating the sores, they are pink. I cleaned them and put some silver sulfanimide ointment on them. The absesses that cadberry had were on his genitals. (that's where i got the antiseptic and ointment from) they are gone now. He was in pretty bad shape when I got him, in a wire bottom crate with nothing to eat but half an apple (b/c his previous owners ran out of pellets and didn't want to buy more since they were getting rid of him....)He's actually at what looks like a much healthier weight to me. I'll post some before and after pics from when I got him 3 months ago.

They are bonded, and share an XX-Large Dog crate with two extra levels, so he does ALOT of jumping. Also they get about 2 hours per day free run in my kitchen and he does run ALL over the place.

I'll raise the tooth issue next time I go in for a check-up just to be safe. I do feel like I could cut down on pellets, I'm just paranoid somebody is going to be like "WHATS THE MEANING OF THIS!?!!?" and then stop eating and then get gi stasis.... I know that's probably irrational... but... It was REALLY scary when it happened to Hazel, so I'm all about not stressing anybody too much and not trying to change diets....

also I'll ask about dewormer too, his regular poops look healthy.... I guess it couldn't hurt to get it checked out though.

I've never heard of the rock mats... I have linoleoum on the levels and they are covered with little carpet squares/mats.

also, I'll try the vinegar. I usually just scrub with water b/c I don't want to use any 'cleaning chemicals'

Thanks so much!!!!!

hoofbeats23 wrote:
I do feel like I could cut down on pellets, I'm just paranoid somebody is going to be like "WHATS THE MEANING OF THIS!?!!?" and then stop eating and then get gi stasis.... I know that's probably irrational... but... It was REALLY scary when it happened to Hazel, so I'm all about not stressing anybody too much and not trying to change diets....
Yup, it has to be done gradually so they don't notice, you're right about that! When I changed Pipp from an alfalfa to a timothy pellet, she wouldn't eat the timothy ones at all. But I kept giving her fewer alfalfa and more timothy everyday (put fewer pellets overall) and eventually she started eating every last scrap.

When Hazel had stasis before, was he going through a molt? Or was his eye and sneezing worse? Any stress? Anything that may have caused his system to be compromised?

My five (almost six) year old dwarf used to have near-stasis when she'd molt. She also needed to have dental surgery every two to four months before I totally cut back her pellets (gradually) and (eventually) put her on an all-veggie diet -- seeing as she won't eat hay if her life depends on it. She hasn't had a problem since. Her poops turned into little tiny misshapen things from the wet roughage, but she hasn't so much as had a bout of gas since (in three years), and this is after several very close calls with stasis and cecal dysbiosis when she was younger.

Don't worry about 'pink' hocks. They need to look 'angry' before they need any treatment.

sas :bunnydance:

I can't remember if he was in a molt or not. but no sneezing or runny eye at that time, that occurred in January about a month after the stasis (and I'd never had any health issues before that what so ever) I'm pretty sure it was stress since it happend like two days after x-mas, and there was so much crazy family stuff going on! I think it was just too much for him. In hind site, I should have secluded him from all the festivities and kept him in my bedroom. .... so NOW i'm extra carefulto keep everything stress free. The stasis was really scary, but we got through it. I don't htink I slept for 3 nights straight during the whole ordeal.

I'll start to cut down the pellets gradually. I would like to feed more fresh veggies, but at this point I'm not sure that would help Cadbury's poop problem...

Every 2-4 months?? wow! sounds like she has a good home with you at least. I don't know what would happen to my little buns if I didn't have them... Anyway, I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. Going to get some sleep since I've been up way too late stressing!! Thanks again, I really appreciate all of your input.

Fresh veggies, if introduced slowly, usually improve passage of food through the GI tract because they add lots of water to the tract which makes stuff go through better.

I think you will have to keep a close eye on Cadbury's weight, and Hazel's teeth. They sound pretty normal other than the stasis/URI that had been resolved, probably initially due to stress, and the uneaten cecals. Another possible reason he's not eating his cecals could be GI parasites. The vet can do a fecal float test to check for parasites and their eggs.

Back