Discolored Urine?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZanziVA

Reaction score
I thought I'd ask some experienced bunny owners before talking to my mom about taking him to the vet..

I remember reading that sometimes rabbit kits have strange colored urine, but eventually grow out if it.

My oldest rabbit, Ace, hasn't outgrown it. He's between 5 and 6 months old. I bought him at 6 to 8 wks old, and this problem mostly disappeared.

Recently, however, it's come back and it looks a lot worse. It sticks to his fur, and when I finally get it cleaned, it happens again.

I feed him a 17% protein pellet food + hay and occasionaltreats (like once or twice a week, never more than that). The treats are either apples, oranges, or lettuce. I haven't fed him lettuce in a while (nor oranges, for that matter).

I never feed him carrots, he won't eat them. I tried him a couple of times, but all he did was throw/push them out of his cage. I also read up on poisonous things for rabbits - I've never fed him any of the things on the list.

He eats fine, drinks well, and hasn't changed his energy level at all. The only thing is, when I let him run loose, he constantly rubs his head on things that smell like my doe. I'm assuming that's just hormonal though, and probably doesn't have anything to do with his problems.

He uses the litterbox enough that I have to change it 2 times a day. Sometimes I'll change it a third time. Is this usual?

acesick.png

Am I doing something wrong? Mydoe hasn't had a single problem. I can't think of anything that I've changed in the past few weeks either.

He also has fleas, I've tried cat stuff on him, but it doesn't work. (Didn't work for my ferrets either). Could that cause urinary problems? (I don't think it could, but I'm not a professional.)

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u24/SwiftlyRedtailed/acea.png

You can see his attitude at the moment. He's pretty alert, doesn't really act/look sick other than the junk on his tail. >.>

Any advice? Or am I just overreacting?

Thank you,

SOme buns are pretty minging with their wee and I knwo some breeds can be worse than others. I have a bun that tends to wee that colour her litter box is always darker than any of the others. MAybe he is a bit lazy and isn't lifting high enough.

It looks ok but I am no expert. maybe one of the others will be able to advise you better but its always worth a trip to the vets if you are worried

Back