discharge from eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIGH_HEAT

Reaction score
Question to all , my 7 yr old bunny has some discharge from his eyes i am wondering what its from and if its not normal how to get rid of it. Its a clear discharge . sorry if i am vague.

I've had a recent problem with my rabbit. (You can see my post which is alled Keeping an Eye on the Eye in this forum, see if the pictures are the same). Its impossible to say what it is without going to a vets. I've been today and they think it is just a blocked tear duct which means the eye is wet all around and there is a problem with he eye flushing and cleaning itself which will make it irritated and can cause discharge. That is one possibility of what it could be. Blocked tear ducts can be caused by small bits of grit stuck in the tear duct hole and blocking it, or it can be because the teeth are too long, causing them to be pushed up and hitting the duct, blocking it. I'd recommend going to your vets so they can see what they think but there can be several reasons for it, some expensive to treat and some relativley easy.

pinksalamander wrote:
I've had a recent problem with my rabbit. (You can see my post which is alled Keeping an Eye on the Eye in this forum, see if the pictures are the same). Its impossible to say what it is without going to a vets. I've been today and they think it is just a blocked tear duct which means the eye is wet all around and there is a problem with he eye flushing and cleaning itself which will make it irritated and can cause discharge. That is one possibility of what it could be. Blocked tear ducts can be caused by small bits of grit stuck in the tear duct hole and blocking it, or it can be because the teeth are too long, causing them to be pushed up and hitting the duct, blocking it. I'd recommend going to your vets so they can see what they think but there can be several reasons for it, some expensive to treat and some relativley easy.

Very well put, pinksalamander. I fully agree, without a proper diagnosis, one wouldn't know for sure, so a rabbit savvy vet visit would be needed.

Marietta

:yeahthat:

I had the same problem recently with my 8 yr old boy, Basil. The vet said essentially what Pinksalamander outlined, as he didnt see any scratches or anything. A good eye exam should probably be your next step. My vet decided to try oral antibiotics and then proceed with xrays if it doesnt clear up.

If you havent checked out our Library yet, theres lots of good info on Eye Problems.

Keep us posted!

I'm not sure what breed your bunny is, but some breeds can have eye irritation due to long lashes that get into their eyes.

As others have said, a thorough exam by a bunny-savvy vet is the best thing you can do right now.

Keep us posted!

hi all ,
yes still slight discharge, i am going to take him to the vet this week. i dont know his breed i got him from people in New Jersey that were Selling them as FOOD ! i wanted to kill them! never the less here is a picture so you guys can see

Picture548.jpg

My foster, Benson, is 8 1/2 years old and blind. He has a lot of eye discharge that is clear. My vet said he could also possible have a blocked tear duct, but we are trying Baytril and eye drops right now. He has no scratches on the eye. My vet is calling me either today or tomorrow to let me know what she finds in her research to see what else could be causing his eye watering issue.

Who could want to eat something so beautiful? :(

Good luck with him at the vets. Watery eyes can be a few different things, infection, teething issues, and as the others say blocked tear ducts, some dust in the eyes etc. My Bailey had chronic watery eyes, the crusting got so bad that I was bathing the fur around them several times a day otherwise it would get painful for him when it dried.

Chubby tipped the scale at 6lbs 6 oz , dr said he was fine with his weight, but i dont know if i should cut back his food. She also said that he is Rare , from chile , mostly breed for Meat, :( at least i saved one heheh

At any Rate it was exaclty what we said i blocked tear duct, so she gave him some eye drops said to give to him 2 times a day 3 times a week, and even after its all gone she said was to give him eye drops for another week.

Back