Disabled Buns: Share Stories

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiddlesKenway

Reaction score
Hello, I decided to make a post for people to share stories about their precious little handicap friends! The longer I've been on this forum it's come to my attention that it's a daily occurrence to hear about a bun losing hind end ability or some freak accident leading them disabled.

This is Loki, my three legged Dwarf Lop (Mini Lop US) he broke his ankle--or for better description his joint that connects foot to ankle separated. The break being impossible to fix I was given two options have him put down or the leg removed. To me the first option wasn't even an option. End his life before it begun because he broke his ankle? Please, that's stupid. The vet was urging me to simply put him down it I was determined. He told me that it's difficult to adopt out disabled animals and that came like a slap in the face. I've had rabbits for years, never have I given one away or sold one to move it on if it wasn't a kit that came out pet quality and even then I keep pet quality as pets. Loki isn't replaceable, a strong line is replaceable you can just get another from that same line sure, but it will never be the same rabbit. Every decision you make has to be for their sake and remember this you wouldn't put a human down so why should it be an option for an animal?
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1394963601.478370.jpg

I think that some of the disabled bunnies I have seen on various sites are just such happy little bunnies and are leading a wonderful life with great care. I´d seen Loki and he is adorable. We also have Coco Puff on her who is an absolute sweetie and she has her two brothers to clean and keep her nice and her mommy who loves her to bits. I also follow on facebook a fantastic disabled bunny called Dolly, she is getting more popular every day. She has paralysed hind quarters but has her little cart to get about and her husbun to help her out and keep her looking lovely. All these buns so brighten my day when I read about their adventures. And yes, I agree, I have three boys and if anything ever happened, I would consider the implications for them but if they were happy, I would always opt for life.

Loki has such a sweet face and I just that little nose. I am sure he is the happiest most loved bunny, it´s amazing how sometimes a leg less doesn´t seem to keep them from doing nearly everythiing they did before :wave:

I have read about Coco Puff, she's such a pretty bun! She looks like should would be nice and squishy to cuddle, she's so inspirational and she's lucky to have such a dedicated and loving owner and such caring brothers!

Loki hasn't lost any of is previous zest, he is still the same little bun and if not he's even happier. He has many other bunny friends around him and he loves my cats. He never sits still for too long and is a little attention craver, if I'm scratching other bun's nose he shoves his through his cage bars! But so does the bun housed below him! The two of them constantly compete for attention! Loki is just a beautiful bunny full of personality and a massive mischief maker he's curious of everything and he's a little genius.

I don't think I've ever heard of a disabled bunny ever having less a life than any other rabbit. It's great more people need to see they can cope and adapt and it's sad when people think it's wrong to let them live like that but hey, on that logic it would be wrong for humans too. I think Loki is proud to be a disabled bunny and I'm proud of him he is my brave little boy and I think he could handle anything.

You should see him binky!! I was so proud of him the first time he did it afterwards. He runs like lightning when he wants too, he's also not afraid of picking fights with my other bucks through cage bars even though he's so small! His rabbit shaped teddy bear was around Mello one of my older bucks at one point and I put it in with Loki again absentmindedly without thinking about Mello's scent being on it and Loki POUNCED at it and started biting it! I ended up having to stick it in with a for for five minutes so I could put it back without him ripping it apart! :D

I just love reading about them, seeing pics and videos of them and I really look forward to news about them. I love that most of them live more or less like normal buns and you forget about their differences. The do to all have company as well and I think that they thrive from that interaction. As I said, all the ones I know seem very happy and are so well cared for.
Do you have a blog for Loki ?? It would be nice to document his day to day life and we would love it :p

I love reading about them too, hearing how successful they are especially the ones much, much more disabled then Loki.

No I don't, it's hard to document normal behaviour! But he tried kale for the first time today, so did everyone else. The ones who liked it got extremely hyper!

Latest posts

Back