Disabled bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracies mommy

Reaction score
Hello all! I have an 8year old Dutch female, who has splay leg in the front. She can no longer clean herself, and I am having to do daily butt baths with an enzymatic shampoo, or dry baths with cornstarch and medicated powder from the vet. She eats great, and gets around (scoot) fine when she wants to. She is a free roamer who has free range of our entryway. My question is, does anyone have suggestions on how to improve our cleaning routine (she hates it), and how can I help her to get around better? I've tried hobbles (she wiggles free). She sits on the back part of her butt, with her back rounded (if that makes sense), and has seemed to developed arthritis, so we give her metacam as needed. Thanks in advance!

Can you explain why the bathing is needed exactly. Is she getting a poopy bum or is it urine soaked fur? Is this a new occurrence, or if not how long has it been going on? Is the metacam given daily, once or twice a day, what dose(mg/per kg/lb), what is her weight, and have you noticed any improvement with the metacam?

So sorry. I should have explained further! She weighs 5 pounds. She has the 10mg metacam. She gets .6ml once a day. But was told to give it only on days she seems to be in pain. She has urine scald. She gets poopy butt once in a while. For that, I just use baby wipes to clean off most of the poop, unless it's bad. I usually can tell when she is in pain, because she will stay hidden in her house for most of the day, her ears will be laid back, and whiskers drawn closer to her checks. Not all the way, just not the usual fluffed out look. She had surgery a year ago this past January, to spay her (I didn't know the importance of doing this at a young age), have a tumor removed from one of her breasts, and a large tumor removed from her back, and another from her abdominal area. Since then, she has been sitting all rounded on her butt. I take her in to the vet for rechecks often, to make sure no new tumors have shown up. With the splay leg, she can't groom much anymore. The splay leg developed slowly over time, but just got worse in the last 3 years. Since her surgery last January, she slowly stopped grooming her butt area. That has been about 6-7 months that we have been having to do it for her. I have not really gotten much answers or help from her vet as to why the splay leg has developed over time (she just said it was congenital, and hereditary) or why she now sits on her back, or what I can do to help her. She said hobbles, but when that failed, nothing.... I am thinking about switching vets. Just to get a second opinion, and because when I've asked for the scripts, so I could fill elsewhere for cheaper, they were really hesitant, and said they weren't sure they could do that. Anyway, nearly every visit (we've dealt with fly strike last summer, tumors, rechecks, and urine scald), I've not gotten out of there for under $250. She's a super sweet bunny, and extremely docile and cooperative, so I want to make her life a little easier, and not have to make her endure long butt baths or powder baths every night.

Back