Dirty bottoms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunnybunny63

Reaction score
wow it feels like so long since i was last on here! anyway...

Dandy has recently not been washing all of her underneither area, a few weeks back i cut a few bits out but now it is twice as bad as it ever has been. its all matted together with dirt n poo!

what shall i do about it?

Sorry to hear this. Hmm, firstly, you should try and find out what's causing it. Is she overweight at all? How's her diet? Any changes lately? Are her poops normal or are you noticing soft poos alot? We should try to find out the cause also.

You can give her a butt bath. If she hates to be held, this could be difficult and can stress the bun. Try reading the link I'm providing regarding butt baths, there are alternatives to the water bath;). Good Luck!

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12067&forum_id=17

thanks for the advice

she doesnt mind being handled although she is very sensitive to new places/things and i think it may over stress her having a bath!

she is eating normally, no changes at all, shes isntover weight and i dont think there are any soft poos! but will double check tommorrow as its dark now!

Def give a butt bath as with the weather fly strike can happen pretty quick and you can't see it till you get rid of the poop. Try pretty much cutting out the pellets and just give plenty of Hay then after a week or so wean back onto pellets, also might be worth giving a pro biotic.

I would also maybe if those things don't work get some entracare you can get it from www.naturalfeeds.co.uk or phone 08452309606, i use it in the water on all my buns and i had problems with 2 not eating and in 2 weeks they were much better, the website explains it but basically it helps the flora and fauna in their gut.

Let us know how you get on:)

polly wrote:
Def give a butt bath as with the weather fly strike can happen pretty quick and you can't see it till you get rid of the poop. Try pretty much cutting out the pellets and just give plenty of Hay then after a week or so wean back onto pellets, also might be worth giving a pro biotic.

I would also maybe if those things don't work get some entracare you can get it from http://www.naturalfeeds.co.uk or phone 08452309606, i use it in the water on all my buns and i had problems with 2 not eating and in 2 weeks they were much better, the website explains it but basically it helps the flora and fauna in their gut.

Let us know how you get on:)

will give her a bath tommorrow and take away her pellets, she snot a huge hay eater so not sure how long she will keep eating it before she gets bored!

i will look into the entracare as well

What do you feed her? Sometimes adult rabbits get sensitive to protein and/or carbs and need less rich diets. This is a common problem of poopy butts when the diet has not been changed. It might also be a good idea to take a fecal sample to the vet to check for worms, coccidia, etc.

Polly, do you know what the ingredients in that stuff are? I'm curious, as it's impossible to judge whether a product like that is good, or even safe, when they don't list the active ingredients. After seeing some less-than-healthy ingredients (like tea tree oil) in "natural cures," I'm hesitant to use anything without doing a bit of research myself.

Although mint and chamomile are both known for helping with gut problems and are both safe for rabbits. They actually work better for me than Pepto Bismol.:D

Might be too much greens if she is getting greens plus green veg plus pellets that an awful lot. If you go to www.bunnybasics.net they have a great selection of hays and i keep a few on hand in case i have one not wanting to eat their hay, so give that a whirl.

Naturestee i went and got the bottle it just has ingreients of Aqua and oreganum in it. I don't know how good that is it is specifically for rabbits but its certainly maqde a difference to mine even in the poopy butt department, and is says it is for coccidosis, muccoid eneropathy and stuff, will be interested in your reply, i make up 8mls of entracare in a 2 litre coke bottle of water,

but as i say it could be coincidence, but poopy butt has gone down the buns are drinking more so they must like the taste (mine all have bottles) and 2 that weren't eating much if anything (alfie is a nightmare) it took about a week and a half and Alfie is back to eating normally, he had a little bit of diorreah on tues but a quick butt bath and a biscuit to check he was eating and he was fine. Jin is eating anything and everything in sight. so quite a change

It is also meant to be good for the weaning of kits to avoid them getting muccoid enteropathy.

Good advice already in this thread, but here's the Library link, it's under Diarrhea...

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11935&forum_id=10

... but pay attention to the sublinks like this one:

Intermittant Soft Stool
http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo5.htm

Sticky Bottom Problems
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/sticky_bottom.htm

... and some of the 'Poopy Butt' member threads. It's a common diet problem that will take some experimenting to figure out what in particular is causing it. It could be pellets, veggies or the grass, or a combination.

She needshigher fiber,maybe try different types of hay to inspire her to eat more. I'd normally suggest giving her some canned pumpkin, but you're in the UK, and it doesn't seem to be easy to find there. Pureed fresh pumpkin works, but it's abit of a pain to prepare.

Good luck!

sas :clover:

she doesnt get greens as well as green veg!

also she doesnt eat much grass as we are always having to cut it down in her run! she has been on this same diet for the whole of her life so i dont think this is the problem

she doesn;t have what i would class as sticky bottom, she sjut has poo and dirt clumped in her fur around it. im going to give her a butt bath and try to get some out. ill take pics before and after so you can see how i progress!

LOL, save yourself some money! Oreganum is just a fancy word for oregano, an herb in the mint family that has the same tummy-soothing properties as mint. Instead of buying bottles of this stuff, get pure mint herbal tea bags, make a big pot, and dilute it down to use.

You can also grow oregano yourself. It grows just like mint- a perennial that will take over your yard if you don't contain it. We keep ours in large pots.

Hunnybunny, like I said before adults sometimes get sensitive to their normal diets and need a change. Try reducing her pellets a lot and see if that helps. If it doesn't, go the other way and try taking away her veggies. Either way, do what you can to get her to eat more hay.

polly wrote:
Naturestee i went and got the bottle it just has ingreients of Aqua and oreganum in it. I don't know how good that is it is specifically for rabbits but its certainly maqde a difference to mine even in the poopy butt department, and is says it is for coccidosis, muccoid eneropathy and stuff, will be interested in your reply, i make up 8mls of entracare in a 2 litre coke bottle of water,

Before -

DSC01042.jpg

Straight after bathing -

DSC01044.jpg

Clean and dry (sorry this pic was taken outside in the dark!)-

DSC01049.jpg

Latest posts

Back