Dinner Ideas!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit Hero

Reaction score
Sometimes I find that I'm eating the same things over and over again, I get bored of the sames foods and I just don't know what to cook!

Care to share some simple, great tasting and inexpensive dinner ideas with me?

One of my college days and budget minded favorites was to cooks some burger with a little onion and seasoning, add a can of pork and beans and eat it over white rice. Also had a cheap recipe for Beef Stroganoff. Cook burger with a clove of garlic and a chopped onion. Add a can of Cream of Chicken, 8 ounces of sour cream and chopped parsley. Serve over egg noodles. I'm surprised I didn't gas everyone to death in those days!

Hmm sometimes college food is the best. Growing up (and still several times a week...) me and my family ate macaroni and tomato juice. With a bit of cheddar cheese it hits all the right spots.

I just recently made for the first time Chicken Pot Pie. It's so good. Also Stuffed (Red)Peppers, Stew (beef), Lasagna.

I need to make food that i can freezetheleftovers. I get up far too early in the am (for work) and get home too late tocook so I always make extras.

Susan:)

Here is one my kids favorites from when they were younger. And while alot of people go "ewww gross" most love it once they try it. For those of you that are vegetarians just substitute the veggie equivilant.

Chili dog pizza

1 premade pizza crust (like Boboli or Mama Mary)
1 can chili w/beans
4 hot dogs sliced 1/4 in thick
1 onion sliced or 3 tablespoons minced dried onion
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese

Spread about 1 tablespoon olive oil on crust. Spread the chili on top of that to about 1/4in from edge of crust. Top with the hot dogs and onion. Top with the cheddar cheese then the mozzarella. Bake at 450 degrees for about 8 to 10 min. Let sit a couple minutes, slice and enjoy. This is really an awesome change from the normal pizza.

Last week I made chimichurri sauce and served it over whole wheat rotini and asparagus. To make cilantro chimichurri (usually it's made with parsley but I like cilantro more), you just toss a bunch of cilantro, some olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and a pinch of cayenne pepper into a food processor and process it. It should look pretty much like pesto. Yum!

Me and my sister made up some foods our self! Some of them are unique. Here's some.

My sister's teriyaki dogs:

Soak hot dogs in soy sauce for 30 minutes then slap on some teriyaki sauce and grill them. I don't like them, well, I don''t like hot dogs in the first place, but my sis seems to like them.

Cocoa Banana Slushie/Smoothie(something I came up with years ago):

1 Fresh cut up banana.
Milk.
2 packs of hot cocoa mix
Ice.
It's your choice of how thick/thin you want it. If you want it slushy, add more ice. If thin, add less ice and/or more milk. If thick, add more banana and hot cocoa mix.
Now blend all ingredients in a blender until well mixed and no chunks of ice and banana show. It's really good.

The secret to a REAL omelet:

When most people at home make an omelet or anything regarding cheese, they use that common and cheap "single sliced cheese" or velveeta. You wonder why it never comes out like you would find at a restaurant. The secret: - the CHEESE! Kraft's Single slice and velveeta are not real cheeses. That's why when you bite into an omelet or burrito made with that crap, the "cheese" is the first think to slip out. Real cheese doesn't, has a more authentic flavor, and holds you other ingredients(like the bacon and pepper peices) in.
Yes, it's more expensive, but if you want real taste, buy it. I use "Sargento" brand cheese, you can also get real cheese at your deli too. Enjoy!

Bun Bun Vegetarian Sandwich:

2 pieces of toasted rye bread.
Salad mixings(cut thin).
Ranch dressing.
Soy bacon bites.
Before toasting bread, take the 2 breads and place them on top of each other. Cut them(may it be a pair of scissors or cookie cutter if possible)into a bunny shape. Now you have bunny shaped bread. Now toast the bread. After, put the salad mixing on a piece of the bread. Take a dab of ranch dressing and mix it with the bacon bites and then dab in the middle ontop of the salad mixing on the bread. Then take the other piece of bread on put ontop. Now you have a sandwich. I've never tasted or made it before, it's just something that came off the top of my head.

Here's some more.

These are really good.

Great tasting spicy chicken livers and onions:

1 container of Perdue chicken livers.
1 Yellow Onion.
Texas Pete hot sauce.

Saute livers, onion, and hot sauce together.
Before eating, pour more hot sauce on them. Anyone who's eaten liver knows that it can be dry and bitter tasting. The hot sauce adds more moisture and favor to the livers.

Fire House Shrimp:

Bacon.
Small-Medium Sized Shrimp
Canned, Small, Nacho-Cut, Jalapenos.

Wrap shrimp and jalapenos with the bacon strips. Only one shrimp and jalapeno per bacon strip.
Can be served with cocktail sauce or hot sauce.

At-Home Turkey Club Sandwich:

Everyone(unless you're allergic)love turkey clubs.

Secret to a real sandwich. Lets put away all that grounded luncheon meat, cheap butter bread bs(like hostess), and fake single-slice/velveeta cheese crap. Lets get real.

3 slices of real bread(like Pepperidge Farm). I like sour dough.
Real deli cuts of turkey breast(you can get it from your deli or some already-sliced brands in your store like Oscar Mayer).
Iceberg Lettuce
Mayonnaise
Bacon
Real Cheddar Cheese
Thin Slice Of Tomato.
4 Olives
4 Tooth Picks

Stick olives on the tips of the tooth picks. Toast the breads. Spread mayo under two slices of bread(these will be the peices that hold the sandwich). Now put the bacon, cheese, tomato, meat, other piece of bread, and lettuce in the sandwich, with the other piece of bread sitting in the middle of the other ingredients. Now cut the sandwich into 4 equal squares and stick the tooth picks on top of the squares(this helps the squares from falling apart).

Anything in the slow cooker is delicious and inexpensive. Here is one of my faves I had made up. I am always making my own recipes

Green Chili Chicken Chowder Soup

2-3 Whole Fresh chicken breast (raw)
2-3 cans cream of chicken (sometimes I mix in a can of cream of celery)
1-2 cans of canned corn
3-4 small cans diced Ortega chili’s (sometimes I add 5, I LOVE ORTEGA GREEN CHILIS)must use ortega green chilis all other chilis taste nasty.
3 cups Pepper jack
2 cups Cheddar
2 TBSP finely chopped parsley
4-5 chopped potatoes (chop into good size squares)
Add chicken broth or water for soupy consistency

Add all ingredients besides the potatoes

Add potatoes about 2 hours after slow cooker has been cooking

Let slow cook on low for about 6 hours should be a creamy soupy consistency. The more cream of chicken or celery soup, the creamier it gets. I have had to add another can toward the end before to get it the way I like it.

Shred chicken in slow cooker, it should just fall apart. I use a really good chicken breast to make sure I always get super tender and juicy results.

I freeze half and eat the other half throughout the week.

YUM YUM YUM!!!!!

Latest posts

Back