dilemas dilemas!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
I've got a question about moving with rabbits,since I will be moving this summer. The location im moving to will beabout a 4 hour trip and I don't know what I should do with the buns, itcan't be good for them to be idle in a carrier for a long car ride suchas this! should I be stopping every hour to let them strech out and goto the bathroom.??????? I also wonder about the safety of letting themjust sit in the car without a carrier!!?? any advice, dos and dontswould be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Luna;)

As long as they have room to turn around in the carrier and stretch, they'll be fine on a long car ride.

Pam

yeah awesome timing Luna! lol.. i was just gonnapost somthing about this.. i'll be going to New York (also VA and maybeOhio and penn) dunno how long yet.. but i am also taking Cinn with me..because i cant bare to be without her for a long time! lol.. and ittook my brother and his friends to from Minnesota to Ceder Ponit Ohioin one day.. so im think like two days at the most.. i will take breaksand i will be riding with other people taking turns driving.. so whenim not driving i'll be holding her.. or either that sleeping (but icant sleep in car rides! lol) i did find a hotel that takes pets buttheir is a fee.. and they dont say what kinds you can or cant have! lol(hey maybe i'll come back with another little one! lol since i plan onstopping by the ASPCA! lol) i wont be going till my Grad. summer whichis 2006! (WHOOP WHOOP NEXT YEAR! lol) thanks!

I agree, pet carrier would be fine, I don't like the thought of anycritter , bunny , dog or anything being unrestrained in a car.

Good luck with the move!

We may be moving ourselves soon ***fingers crossed***

Hey, I'm the newgirl. Ithink it would be ok to put your buns in a carrier on theway. Make sure that they have room to lay down andstretch. I don't think you should let them run free in thecar, though. When you open the door, they could hop out andrun. If they are used to being together and theydon't fight, then you could put them in the same carrier.But, if they fight sometimes, then I would put them in seperatecarriers. If your car is big enough, you could even bringthem in their own cages because they would be in a familiar place andwouldn't get too nervous. Also, if you bring them in theircages, they could have their litter box and food right there.I'm not sure about thebathroom stops every hour. Ifyou do bring them in a carrier, then make sure that there is a blanketor towel in there. If you are uncomfortable with putting themsomewhere where you can't see them, then you could try putting them inthe front seat. Also, you should take yourbuns inthe carrier(s) or cage(s) for rides in the car so they can getaccustomed to bumpy rides and being in the car.

Goodluck!! :)

Hi I travel with my rabbits to shows all thetime. I would defenlently plan on not stopping with the airconditioning off. The heat of the summer is really bad for rabbits.Also I would suggest investing in a proper rabbit carrier from one ofthe rabbit suppliers. It alows more ventalation and comes in differentsizes for different rabbits. That way you wont get one that they canspin around in and get hurt in. Also pack a cooler with frozen waterbottles, or even rig up a big plastic cup to put ice in jsut in casethe rabbits get hot or start getting hot from stress. My rabbits lovethe frozen water bottles on car rides. I always bring some with me justin case. Oh also make sure that your car does not bring in exhaust fromthe back. Even a little can kill rabbits. Last year a kid that I showwith lost five rabbits because they got a new truck and they put therabbits in the back because it had one of those inclosed back end and Iguess there was a hole in the exhaust pipe and they got too muchexhaust and died. She was pretty upsetand gladd that we wereall there to support her and that her dad was the one that found themnot her. I gave her some of my best does and then she got breedignrights to any of my bucks so she is getting litters now and we are allthe smarter thanks to them. So it really can happen. But I would reallylook into the actual rabbit carriers.

Can someone tell me whyputting bunnies in carriers during car rides is so important? I justhold Nepo or let him lay down on the floor during car rides. Is thisbad?

*nepo* wrote:
Can someone tell me why putting bunnies incarriers during car rides is so important? I just hold Nepo or let himlay down on the floor during car rides. Is this bad?

I look at it this way (which is kind of depressing and horrifying!). IfI get into a car accident -- God please forbid! -- would I rather havemy bunny go flying through the windshield or my bunny in a carrier?Also, I try to wedge the carrier in somewhere so it's safer and won'tfly anywhere at all. The carrier provides a little extra safety, Ithink.

I never thought about the safety part, then I guess the carrier is safer if you can hold it down with a seat belt.

My mom says we don't need acarrier because we don't go on a lot of car rides with Nepo, but I'lltry to convince her. That's a stupid reason though alot of people don'tgo in car rides with their bunnies but what about an emergency?:?

AnnaS wrote:
Inever thought about the safety part, then I guess the carrier is saferif you can hold it down with a seat belt.

Yes, whenever I take Cosmo to the vet or anywhere else, I put him inthe carrier and secure it with a seat belt...no way he's gettinganywhere!

Latest posts

Back