digging with frnt paws while holding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atjurhs

Reaction score
hi,

why would a bunny "dig" with her front paws while holding her? I've held her tight, I've held her loose, hasn't made any difference

she doesn't always do it, but if she starts, it often leads to a bite.

thanks, Todd

She does not like being picked up no bunny does if u are going to pick her up make sure u get her nice and calm by petting

She does not like being picked up no bunny does if u are going to pick her up make sure u get her nice and calm by petting

nope, not the case. she likes being picked-up and cuddles, and she's always petted and sang nice little lu-la-bye songs to.

she doesn't do the "digging" behavior very often, just sometimes.

Than she's just excited

I'm thinking it may be related to either "that time of the month" for her (she has not yet been spayed) or related to the noise/activity level outside of her room (her hutch is located in the laundry room, and she gets out of the hutch to play often often, but in a small house there's still plenty of other noises that might keep her on a high "level of alert"

yes to either?

thanks for your thoughts, Todd

Rabbits don't have "That time of the month"
The digging is probably her wanting down. Rabbits are prey animals and do not enjoy being carted around like dolls. Hence is leading to a bite. She is not happy about whats happening.

I agree, she is probably digging because she wants to be put down on the ground/in her cage again, when you're not getting the hint, she follows it up with a bite. If littertrained, they may also dig while being held if they need to pee.

The digging and nip are her way of trying to get your attention. Next step is figuring out what. She may be telling you she is done cuddling and wants down, she might be getting hot and need down to cool off, it may be that you have stopped petting and she's letting you know to keep up with the head rubs, or like azerane said she may just need to get down to pee.

When my rabbits nose bump me to get my attention , I just go through the list of things that they might be trying to tell me, like move you're in my way, pet me, I want a treat, etc. There's a limited list of possibilities for what it is they are trying to communicate, and you just have to start making guesses til you hit on the right thing.

This is a good link for understanding some aspects of bunny communication.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

awesome guys, thanks!

I will TRY and learn to be a better listener to females :big wink:

Latest posts

Back