Digging in her litter box...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah92lynn

Reaction score
Is there anything I can do to try and break the habit of Lilly digging out her litter box? Thankfully it all stays in her cage but it's still a hassle to keep picking up the bedding she digs out..not only that but it's not very sanitary for her, and it makes her cage stinky cause she doesn't seem to want to pee on the bedding!!

She's really weird about her potty space. She likes to dig all the bedding out of the corner she pees in and pee on the bottom of the litter box, which seems weird to me cause she never use to do it before I put a litter box in there. If no one is there to stop her she digs out almost the whole box completely! Usually in the morning I find all the bedding out of her litter box besides one front corner that she doesn't even pee or poop on. :grumpy: I've noticed the bottom of her feet looking more stained than usual because of this also..

I can't remember, is she spayed? That can sometimes make a difference. Now that my bun is spayed she's less obsessive about the whole digging thing.

Other than that, you can make a grid to go over her litter so that she will no longer be able to dig it out. Here's a link with some instructions on how to make one.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=53690&forum_id=93&page=1

You can also buy the corner litter boxes with grate coverings. I saw some at petsmart.

No she isn't spayed yet, I was wondering if that could be a factor haha
Right now I have a corner litter box with no grid, so maybe I'll attempt to make a grid for it :p thanks for the link!!

Hopefully I'll be able to afford Lilly's spay in the near future, glad to know that might eventually help :)

I've never been a fan of the corner litter boxes since they're too small to put hay in and bunnies have a tendency to pee over the side 'cause they don't realize their butt is hanging out :p

the grid definitely works wonders to stop the digging, though!

Latest posts

Back