Dig box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunnybunny63

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldnt find anything on it.

Want to create a dig box for my rabbits who live outside, however they live on the concrete he majority of the time with the odd run round the whole garden for a couple hours.

They have tunnels and toys to play with, but really think a dig box would be great. Want it so that they cant kick the stuff they are digging out the box.

Thanks.

You could try using a plastic storage box. To help keep whatever it is you will use for digging material in the box just keep the lid on it if it will need protected from the weather. Cut a hole in the side of the box big enough for your bun too fit through. The hole can be cut above the bottom, so maybe six inches from the bottom.

Or you could simply use the box without the lid on and not cut a hole in it.

Thank you, I will try and find a plastic box big enough.

What would be the best thing to use for the digging material? I dont want it to get really messy everywhere, a little mess is fine...although they make quite alot already.

I can definitely say without question having made the recent mistake, don't use shredded paper. My buns have never seen shredded paper, always have pellets to potty in, but they took to it real quick to using it as a litter box. In my mind and research, I just don't think there is any material they wont use as litter.

I use a mix of topsoil, hardwood mulch and a little bit of play sand (had to try two kinds to find one I liked, as the first was very fine, dry, dusty particles that I worried would upset their respiratory systems)... they do pee in it, but they pee in ANYTHING I use in a dig box, so I've just come to accept that I have to de-pee their dig pool periodically.

You could just fill it loosely with hay and let them eat, dig, and tunnel their way through it. Probably would be good to have an entrance and exit hole in the box. And maybe have a bottom layer of wood pellet litter or newspaper, to absorb any pee, and just clean it out when it gets dirty.

Latest posts

Back